Band places 15th at state

This weekend I left with the rest of Coppell High School Marching Band to compete at the Bands of America competition in San Antonio. We ended up placing 15th overall, a mere .3 points away from returning to finals. Although this is an improvement over the last several times Coppell has performed at BOA, it has left many band members, including myself, with a bad taste in our mouths.

Last year, the marching band did not go to BOA super-regional. Instead, we went to the UIL State Competition, a contest we value above any other. We placed 3rd in the state of Texas.

Now BOA is a totally different animal. Instead of judging based on mainly music, precision and marching, it gives more weight to the visual aspect of a show. Coppell has always lacked in that area. Our color guard members are talented, but their numbers dwindle compared to those of other schools. But what we lack in props, we make up for in music. We were ranked 5th in the overall musical performance. To me, that is the most important thing.

So do not be sad, fellow band members, because next year is a UIL State year and I am sure we will be amazing.

For more information, visit: www.txbands.com