Mardi Gras last hurrah before Ash Wednesday

Madison Ford

Entertainment Editor

Every year, Christian religions begin the Season of Lent on Ash Wednesday. The Lenten Season leads up to Easter in the christian calender, and during this time you can often find those acknowledging the season by sacrificing something for the duration of the season.

How various Christian religions recognize the season varies, however the celebrations that precede this time of sacrifice are sometimes more infamous than Lent itself. The most famous of these pre-Lenten festivities is Mardi Gras. One of the more well known Mardi Gras festivals is held in New Orleans, where many gather to partake in last minute indulgences before they must begin their Lenten Season. These festivities often draw individuals who simply desire to join in the sometimes debauchery-filled activities, despite their lack of involvement in Lent.

However, one does not need to attend a Mardi Gras celebration in order to indulge in one last hurrah before giving up one of their guilty pleasures. Students could have had their own Mardi Gras of sorts by simply having one last ice cream cone before giving it up for the next 46 days.

Whichever way students partake in this season of celebration and sacrifice, whether they follow the rules of Lent to a tee, or simply enjoy a good Mardi Gras party, it is hard not to recognize the mood in the air during this time of year.