No extensions for IB’s “Extended Essay”

By Julia Kim

As IB students are preparing to begin their extended essay, Mr. Cooke has already advised them to restrain from referring to procrastination on their two-year essay to be submitted at the end of their senior year. Although the essay is due in two years time, CHS is already provoking IB students to begin their essays immediately to meet the deadline in the fall of senior year; this will permit a semesters time to revise and edit the essays.

The essay can cover a variety of subjects including English, mathematics, history and the sciences, but they must all meet similar requirements.

The scores range from A to E, a status of excellent to elementary. Students can earn up to three points from the extended essay and the additional essay for Theory of Knowledge for the minimum of 24 points required for an IB Diploma.

The actual essay is to be composed of a maximum of 4000 words whereas the official IB program favors a word count anywhere from 3500-3800.

Teachers have also volunteered to mentor for these students that are to undertake this task. Mr. Cooke has set a number of meetings with the supervisor assigned to the student. Although the teacher is not permitted to change and correct mistakes, they have the ability to assist students in the right direction with these essays.