Middle school student competes in National Trumpet Competition

By Christina Burke

Eighth grader Christopher Stubblefield is not your average member of the Coppell Middle School North Honor Winds Band. Stubblefield is an outstanding trumpet player whose skills have been recognized for the second year in a row by the National Trumpet Competition. In this year’s competition, he has been selected as a semi finalist. The next step for him in this process is to travel to George Mason University in Fairfax, VA, to compete in the next level this March. During his next performance in March, Stubblefield must preform his musical piece live in front of the judges and an audience.

Stubblefield’s consideration in this competition began when a video of him playing the Haydn Concerto was entered into the starting rounds of the competition. He is one of the 16 musicians under the age of 15 who have been chosen to compete in this contest. Being a part of the National Trumpet Competition as a semi finalist is a big accomplishment for someone so young to be involved in. Through this process, he is gaining unique opportunities to explore his musical talent. We wish him the best in preparation for this exciting journey.