Coppell under construction

By Jordan Bickham

Old Town Coppell has been standing since the beginning of Coppell itself. As the rest of the community upgraded and modernized, Old Town Coppell was one of the few things that remained constant.  It has survived for years, but now, this little piece of Old Coppell will change a bit.

Due to the potential danger of older buildings as well as other factors, Old Town Coppell is receiving a make over. The improvement project is underway, and Bethel School (at the intersection of South Coppell Road and Bethel Road) will be closed by the contractor for this project. While construction is taking place, detours will be available between Bethel and both S. Coppell and Mitchell. You can find out more at Coppell’s website.

Not only is Old Town Coppell getting renovated, but the ionic Kid Country park is being rebuilt by the community as well. This playground has been standing since 1992 and has been a place where kids build friendships, have fun and enjoy the outdoors. The structure is showing signs of deterioration, so Coppell has made plans to rebuild the playground for a new generation.

When Kid Country was first built in 1992, 7,000 volunteers helped raise funds and build the playground that stands today. With the restoration of the park coming later this year, volunteers are needed for the project to commence. The goal is to begin construction in the fall of 2012, so find out how you can help at the Kid Country’s website.

Get ready to see some changes around Coppell and discover how you can help improve Coppell!