CHS academy to hold public health expo

By Mary Whitfill
Features Editor

On Feb. 4, the Public Service Academy (PSA) at Coppell High School is hosting a free Health and Education expo. This second annual expo will take place from 9:00 a.m. to 12 p.m. in the CHS cafeteria and admission is free. PSA requests that each person who attends brings a canned good to donate to North Texas food banks.

The event will feature service learning, student work, information about careers in education and health care, a petting zoo, the Coppell Fire Department and a lecture series: “A New Year, A Better You.”

“It’s a great way for the community to learn more about health,” Joseph said. “For some people who don’t have the chance to do regular screenings, this is a good opportunity to get checked out and learn more about their personal health.”

The CHS Public Service Academy is focused on helping students become ethical and global citizens that will provide their community with leadership and professionalism in their chosen careers. Most students in the PSA program hope to go into the fields of medicine or education.

“PSA is preparing us early on so we can be better professionals tomorrow,” PSA sophomore Bianca Joseph said. “We learn a lot about our field and get to help the community become more informed as well.”