Coppell police, high school to offer safety courses and workshops

By Kristen Shepard
Even though the Coppell bubble may seem like the happiest place on earth, there are still dangers that many students face. To combat this, Coppell is offering several oppurtunities to become more safe.
First off, the Coppell Police department is accepting applications for the police academy. This is a workshop that will help citizens learn police techniques to keep safe in the event of an attack.
If you are unable to attend, there are several tips that simply keeping in mind can make you more safe on a day to day basis.
Statistics prove that women are far more likely to be attacked then men, and oftentimes, do not defend themselves sufficiently. You don’t even have to be the “outdoorsy” type to be at risk. Women are harassed and attacked in places as unexpected as a grocery store parking lot.
However, the more time you spent outside, the higher at risk you are for being bothered at some point. Runners and walkers are at the highest risk. Coppell Cross Country encourages their female runners to take a defense workshop at a local karate venue to be prepared.
If you are a senior, you can sign up for self defense as an elective. This class is catered especially towards seniors, as many of them will be headed off to colleges and professions where their safety will be less guaranteed.
There are several tips that police recommend in response to keeping safe.
1. Stay in public places. Run during daylight hours and try and avoid secluded paths and courses.
2. Be ready for anything. Though it is unlikely that you will be attacked in a public place, the chance is still there. Know where you would escape to and how you would react. You want to be clear minded in any situation.
Contact your counselors for more information on this course, the Coppell Police department for the academy, and www.rrca.org for national safety tips.