Cowboys lose playoff berth, end season 28-7

By John Loop

Amidst the celebration by Keller Central, the Coppell Cowboys reflected on a tough loss against the Chargers, and taken out of playoff contention by the score of 28-7.

Sophomore Connor Wilson got his third start in the stadium where the Cowboys have never, and still haven’t, won a game since 2001. Wilson completed 7 passes for 99 yards, and also rushed for 44 yards and one touchdown.

Both the Cowboys and the Chargers traded 3-and-outs on each of their first few offensive possessions.

Wilson and the Cowboy offense would draw first blood, as the sophomore would punch the ball into the end zone from one yard out to take an early lead.

Sadly, those points would be the last of the Cowboys season as the Chargers went on to score 28 unanswered to launch themselves into the postseason.

This fall featured its comeback wins and heartbreaking, unexpected losses.

After rattling off 4 straight wins going into a tough matchup against Denton Guyer in late September, the Cowboys had the momentum they needed to make a run at the playoffs. The outcome of that stormy game was the complete opposite.

After senior quarterback Jake Larson was knocked out of the game late in the fourth quarter with a serious knee injury that ended his senior campaign, the season went downhill from there.

With no other proven passer at the position, the coaches began rotating two run oriented players, junior Tyler Zabojnik and sophomore Wilson.

The firing of offensive coordinator Mike Dormandy, coupled with the lack of depth at quarterback, brought about changes in the offensive scheme which became more of a pro-style set and run-heavy.

This game will probably hang over the heads of the seniors, as they had even higher aspirations than last year’s 13-0 team who played their last game on the same field and lost.

Last night, as the final seconds ran off the clock, coaches and players on the Coppell sideline were overcome with emotion. Pain, sadness, rage, disappointment. The players’ expressions said it all. No one was in the mood to comment on the game or even the season. Their silence spoke volumes.

Despite the adversity they faced this season, the Cowboys will look to rebound from what will be considered a rebuilding year, and next season come out of the gates firing on all cylinders. Cowboy pride never dies.