CHS band to compete in BOA contest

By Annie Wen

The CHS marching band students will soon be checking in their uniforms and hanging up their shakos for the year. As the marching season comes to an end the band prepares to go out with a bang. The band’s final contest of the year is the Bands of Americas Super-regionals contest to be held in San Antonio on November 5.

“This year’s show is a much different show,” director Scott Mason said. “The level of difficulty is much greater than what we’ve done in the past, so it has been somewhat harder to get it all learned to the high level we like. The BOA contest is a very highly visual contest, which sometimes is not in our favor due to that we enforce highly on marching rather than visuals.”

The band placed 7th at the Duncanville Marching Invitational that was held last Saturday.  Since then they have been adding new visuals to pull up the show to BOA standards. The CHS band has never qualified for finals before but both the members and directors have been working to change that this year.

The band will be leaving tomorrow to head out to San Antonio and will be performing in Preliminary competition on Saturday November 5.

To learn more about the band program, click here.