Rec center expansion project brings excitement to Coppell

Members of the Coppell Aquatic and Recreation Center walk through the construction area awaiting the new additions and improvements that will be added to the building. The expansions are scheduled to be complete by Spring 2012. Photo by Trevor Stiff.

By Jay Carroll

Many Coppell residents go to the Coppell Aquatic and Recreation Center to swim, workout or play basketball. The new expansion project will make their experience even better.

The expansion will be completed in spring 2012.

When visiting the rec center, especially in the summer, it can get crowded at the pools and fitness areas. There are lines for everything – whether it’s the diving board, the slides or even the rock wall.

Changes for the rec center are forthcoming. This construction includes, an additional outdoor slide, a new aerobics room, and cardio and weights area. There will also be renovations to the locker rooms and much more.

“It was done because of the use of the fitness center, it was crowded,” Assistant Director of Recreation Doug Kratz said. “Also, to do renovations on the indoor pool, the locker rooms and some of the class rooms.”

The new indoor slide will no longer goes into the swimming pool. It will go into a chute filled with water at the bottom of the slide, keeping the pool area free for lap swimming. They are also adding new restrooms and making renovations to the classroom and community rooms.

This expansion is expected to make it a more comfortable environment, with a less cramped atmosphere while lifting weights or playing basketball. The additions will prevent waiting in long lines while trying to have fun at the pool.

People are anxiously awaiting the construction to finish so they can experience the improved rec center.

While many people are excited for the new slides and other additions to the pool, some people are more excited about the expansion of the gym.

“It’s a good idea because the gym upstairs is really small,” said sophomore Alex Thomas, who frequently visits the rec center to play table tennis and workout.

Thomas and many others who are looking forward to using the larger gym that will be available to them are going to have to wait a while before they can access the new gym, and the other new features the project is going to bring.