Nation’s Triathlon sparks determination in local residents

By Mary Whitfill
Features Editor

WASHINGTON D.C. – On the 10th anniversary of the September 11 attacks on the World Trade Center, over 4,000 participants of the 6th Annual Nation’s Triathlon to Benefit the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society hit the ground running in Washington D.C.

The North Texas Team in Training group raced in Washington D.C. at the 6th annual Nation's Triathlon to benefit the Luekemia & Lymphoma Society on September 11. Photo by Mary Whitfill.

In attendance were over 100 9/11 first responders, hundreds of Naval Academy and West Point Cadets, over 700 Team in Training participants and thousands of other participants and spectators.

Competing in the race, which was cut to just a bike a run event due to strong currents in the Potomac River, were Coppell residents Margaret Blackmon and Becky Ford, Team in Training (TNT) participants. TNT is the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society’s endurance sports training program. The program provides training for a half-marathon, marathon, triathlon, century bike-ride, or cross-country ski marathon, in exchange for fundraising completed by participants. This year, the TNT Nation’s Triathlon group raised over $2 million for Leukemia research.

Most TNT participants race in the name of an honored ‘hero,’ one who has either died or been severely affected by the disease.

Blackmon, an oncology nurse at Children’s Hospital raced for the benefit of 18-year-old Dalton Huckabay, a patient with Acute Leukemia. In addition to his cancer diagnosis in 2010, Huckabay has spent his entire life battling Autism.

“What has amazed me about Dalton has been his journey,” Blackmon said. “His family has faced this process with resolute and simple determination. They have taken each step as it comes without faltering in their care or love for Dalton or their expectation that he be the best he can be. To say it has not been easy for them doesn’t even come close to describing their journey. I feel Dalton deserves my best at all times.”

Ford, a 31-year-old cancer widow, raced in memory of her husband David, who died of Acute Mylegenous Leukemia (AML) at age 22.

Photo by Mary Whitfill.

While David struggled with his diagnosis for over 2 years and participated in many drug research trials, AML is one of the most aggressive forms of cancer and David died on December 21, 2001.

“I really thought this was going to be a ‘one and done,’” Ford said. “I could do something good for LLS and cross ‘finish a marathon’ off of my bucket list.  It has ended up being far from it.  TNT participants are raising funds to save people’s lives.  I have met so many people over the past six years that are alive and well, because of advancements in medicine.  I have also met people who are still in the fight of their lives.  And, I have met people like myself who are grieving loved ones that a cure has not come for in time.  Until we have a cure for cancer, I will continue to be a part of Team In Training.”