College Application Stress

For CHS Seniors, crunch time has arrived. Students who are planning on attending Universities next fall have started to begin the arduous process of college applications, which are not only stressful but time consuming.  

Most colleges will accept applications up until a certain point sometime in the spring, typically around January but a majority of seniors have decided to get on the ball and apply for early application to the colleges of their choice.

One of the hardest parts about college applications is not the application itself, but the application system, which requires several different factors. For example, Harding University, a private Christian college in Searcy, Ark. requires a completed Application Form, a $35 fee and a $125 housing deposit if you plan to live on campus, two reference forms, an official transcript sent from your guidance counselor or principal and Official ACT or SAT scores.

Sounds demanding, right? Senior Samantha Wade can concur.

“I’ve spent a weekends on my applications and I’m not almost done yet,” Wade said. “If I could change anything about the process I would push the deadlines back so that students aren’t so stressed out at the beginning of the year. Like, my U.S.C application is due on Dec. 1, which is ridiculous.”

This semester, Wade will be filling out college applications for 7 different universities in the hopes of attending either of her top two choices.

Personally, I have not began the process of filling out applications due to the fact that in addition to school I work a part time job that takes up most of my time on the weekends. However, I am aware of the fact that I have stuff that needs to get done and I hope to be able to be as successful as Wade in the coming weeks.