CISD decides on policy of redistricting to alleviate crowding issues

by Divya Kumar
News Editor

An issue that Coppell ISD has faced is the issue of overpopulation and overcrowding in the south-eastern schools. In order to alleviate some of the crowd in these schools, the district has decided to redistrict certain students to other schools. This redistricting policy will begin to take effect by the next school year.

This policy will have the greatest effect on students that go to Valley Ranch Elementary and Mockingbird Elementary; for those who live in the Casitas and Villas patio homes and the Reflections apartments, who currently are zoned to Valley Ranch Elementary, will  now be attending Lakeside Elementary for the next school year. Following their graduation from elementary schools, these students will then have the option to go to CMS West or to CMS North. While students are currently districted to go to West, if they choose to go to North they will have to provide their own transportation, while those who decide to continue with West will have the option of CISD-run school buses.

Similarly, students who currently go to Mockingbird Elementary and live in the Vista Pointe Apartments will now be redistricted to Austin Elementary for the next school year. These policies shift student around to make overall enrollment in these areas at around the same level of students (roughly 500), though there will still be a slightly larger number in the schools that the students originally went to.

Members of the CISD Board of Trustees, who decided on this change, have already begun working with these students and their parents to make the transition as smooth as possible for all members involved. Though this situation is suitable for now, it is by no means final, as further change must be considered for a more permanent solution, especially once the situation with Cypress Waters by Northlake is cleared.

For more information on this topic, click here.