EMAC journalists put skills to work at downtown demonstration

Michelle Mayes
Guest Blogger

While caught in the cross fire of beating drums, colorful posters, and black cement roads flashing red with police lights, El Centro college demonstrators shouted above the noise “Can’t vote, can’t drink, don’t take away our right to think.” And at the sight of two demonstrators being dragged away by the Dallas Police, the Coppell emerging media students were able to feel more than just the chill in the air. They were able to see journalism and history leap into action.

A group of 40 students, five teachers and five parent chaperones from the Coppell High School Emerging Media and Communication (EMAC) Academy were split up into two groups on March 2 in downtown Dallas. Each group would take turns touring The Dallas Morning News newsroom and WFAA Studios, but as they left for lunch at the Spaghetti Warehouse for an afternoon break they were taken by surprise.

A group of demonstrators from El Centro College came out and took their stand on the new Texas education funding cuts.

As many know the decision about funding across Texas has been a big issue concerning many residents and students. This demonstration in particular was expressing the fears of not having financial aid to attend collage. For many, this cut on financial aid might destroy the dreams for the students on the El Centro campus.

With the spotlight now on budget cuts, Texas citizens have wondered what change will come to the education system. The EMAC students didn’t hesitate with expressing their views on the subject, and getting their very first field experience with journalism.

“Overall, the protest was not handled in a civilized manner because of the lack of control the students had over the situation. With one student beating on a drum, others yelling, and two protesters being taken away by the police, the protest did not seem organized. I had never really seen a protest before but it was very mature of these students to fight and care for their education as much as they do,” EMAC freshman Jordan Bickham said.

Bickham was one of the 40 students capturing the demonstration through photographs and notes from across the street. Academy students immediately started working on their social network media skills through posts on Facebook, Twitter and Tumblr.

Flashes from cameras operated by progressing photographers took this chance to work on their photojournalism skills. While pads and pens were flying trying to catch all the information for a story the El Centro College students hope will reach the Texas State Capitol.

EMAC parent Susie Mayes was thrilled her child was able to witness a protest that not only involved others futures.

“I think it’s ridiculous to cut the funds to educate our children, and I’m proud the El Centro students stood there ground for their beliefs,” Mayes said. “It was a little scary that my daughter was down in the middle of it, but also it was awesome that she was able to experience something that she only sees on TV.”

Guest blogger Michelle Mayes is a freshman Emerging Media and Communications (EMAC) student at Coppell High School.