Hicks making blocks one shot at a time

By Abby Drake

With each goal she stops she brings the team closer to state.

And while the District 7-5A leading Cowgirls are known for their potent offense, nobody has been a bigger catalyst for the team’s success the past three years then senior goalkeeper Kailey Hicks.

Starting with her involvement with the recreational youth team the Bumblebees at age f 5, Hicks has come a long way in her soccer career. Like several other girls on the Coppell High School girls soccer team, Hicks’ passion for soccer began when she played recreational soccer as a kid. During these early years, Hicks got her first taste of being on a winning team.

“When I was on the Bumblebees we were really good we basically won everything,” Hicks said.

From there, she moved up in the soccer world and joined a select team, FC Dallas (3’ Blue). Unfortunately for her team, they lost three of their best players, including Cowgirls’ senior defender Sarah Barlow, and with this, the team lost enthusiasm for the sport and had rough end to the season.

“After our three best players had moved up to the FC Dallas Elite team, the rest of the team became frustrated and basically gave up,” Hicks said.

Despite the complications Hicks has faced with her select team, she has been very successful during her three years as goalie on the CHS girls varsity. During her sophomore year, her first year on varsity, Hicks was part of the Cowgirls run for the state title.

Being goalie is perhaps the most important position on the field, as it is do or die every time the ball is kicked their way. For Hicks, however playing goalie is her passion and she has taken the pressure associated with the position in stride.

“I love being goalie because it is one of those roles where if you’re not on your game then the rest of the team suffer,” Hicks said. “I can see everything and I can tell the back line what to do, they call me the commander.”

The senior goalkeeper has been on her game often for the Cowgirls, and she is a significant part of their 13-2-2 record in 2011Hicks has held the opponent scoreless 10 times in those games, and she is let to allow more than two goals in any game this season.

Hicks’ enthusiasm for the sport and for her team has made her into a role model for the younger girl soccer players, specifically freshman Sarah Peterson, who plays goalkeeper for freshman girls soccer team.

“I look up to Kailey because she is so competitive and has such a drive to do things to the best of her abilities,” Peterson said. “Although she isn’t the tallest of goalies, her athleticism dominates in the net. It is a privilege to work with her and I enjoy watching her play.”

Although she is graduating this spring, the end of high school does not also mark the end of Hicks’ soccer career.  Next fall, Hicks will play for the womans soccer team at the University of Texas at Tyler.

Hicks has been committed to the team since her sophomore year and has been long awaiting her chance to finally be an official part of the team and the university.  It is still unknown whether she will start or not next year, however, it looks promising since she is the top recruit of the new freshmen.

During her time in Tyler, Hicks plans to study education at the high school and middle school level.  Her career goals include her teaching and coaching the soccer team at the school.

“I have met so many fantastic coaches that have made my life so different and I want to have the same effect on someone else,” Hicks said.

With the strong team chemistry, determination of the players and athleticism, Hicks has a strong feeling that varsity is going to make it all the way to state.

“Kailey is a very hardworking and determined player who does not expect anything less than a shutout,” junior goalie Maddie Resler said. “With Kailey’s determination, she will definitely help push the team to state.”

Photo Courtesy: Lexus Deloach