Coppell Crime Stoppers more harm than good?

Kara Adkins

The image of a cop relaxing with his daily coffee and donut is not new to us, yet it seems that this stereotype has managed to escape our reliable Coppell officers.

While they are hard at work handing out speeding tickets and catching drivers cutting through parking lots, much of their legal burden seems to be left for our very own Coppell High School students. In the recent months the Coppell Police Department has been offering up to $1000 in return for students to do them a simple favor: snitch. It is not our duty as students to protect our town. It’s our duty to go to school, get good grades, and plan for the future.  Offering a money incentive for students to basically sell out their friends seems not only shady, but twisted.

We already have cops roaming the halls of CHS in order to keep our school a safe learning environment; there is no need to get students involved. According to the Coppell Crime Commission, “This Campus Crime Stoppers Program promotes school spirit, pride and responsibility and allows students to take action against victimization and crime in their school.” But I would have to disagree. It seems to me that by enforcing this sort of action you are dividing a school and making students turn their backs on one another.  This creates a lack of trust among students and does nothing to aid the common cliques found in high school.

Coppell Police should do their job, not get students to do it for them.

11