Biggby Coffee brings new flavor to Coppell

Bigby Coffee, the lastest coffee shop in Coppell, serves a variety of hot and cold beverages. Photo by Aditi Shrikant

by Divya Kumar
News Editor

As the final six weeks of the semester approaches, Coppell High School students are beginning to crack down in order to do whatever they can to raise their final averages and prepare for final exams. The opening of a new coffee shop, Biggby Coffee, only minutes away from the high school appears to be ideal for the timing, both to host study groups and provide last-minute caffeine fixes.

Biggby’s origins in the city come from purely Coppell roots. Coppell citizen Stan Newman and his wife were searching for a coffee shop in the metroplex with an up-beat atmosphere after moving, but, unable to find one, they decided to take matters into their own hands.

“We believed Coppell would embrace and benefit from a locally-owned coffee shop that specialized in high-quality, gourmet drinks,” Newman said. “Based on the number of schools, churches, mom’s groups and city servants in a city as densely populated as Coppell, we determined that it would be a perfect fit.”

Though it has been roughly three weeks since Biggby Coffee opened in Coppell, its business is already booming. Quickly approaching nearly 10,000 drinks served – excluding the sales of food, gift cards and other items – there are several unique facets Biggby offers that other coffee shops cannot. A flat screen TV, a fireplace and free WiFi are among the several quirksthe store offers in an attempt to serve as both a homey and sociable environment.

“Biggby is a great place for students around the city to hang out,” Biggby employee and CHS senior Emily Elliston said. “I feel like it’s a lot more upbeat than most coffee shops. Biggby is a fun place, good to go to hang out with friends and stuff, whether it’s a group or just a two-on-two conversation. It’s the kind of place that can facilitate any mood.”

While there is sentiment that Biggby is a suitable social outlet, there are several aspects of the store that appeal to the studious nature of coffee shops, as well. In addition to the free internet access, the shop is adorned with couches and hanging lamps, making it well-lit and comfortable. The intimate atmosphere makes it ideal for study groups to meet and discuss without being too loud and distracting other smaller groups.

“There are really only a few good places to study in Coppell,” senior Kelsey Dreier said. “There’s the library and then there’s Starbucks, and those places are always jam-packed with students and study groups. I think Biggby can serve as another place to host study groups – something that we definitely need.”

In addition to attracting high schoolers, Biggby provides an outlet for all age groups of Coppell. The shop is certainly family-oriented and kid-friendly, providing an alternate smaller size for younger children to drink out of. In addition, those who just want plain coffee, rather than an elaborate drink, have an ability to go through the “express line” of the store. The customer drops in their money and makes their own drink straight out of the coffee pot, pouring their own desired amounts of coffee, cream and sugar into the drink. A “do-it-yourself” station such as this one serves to bolster the homey ambiance Biggby emits.

Whether it serve as a study center, on-to-go coffee fix or place for the people of Coppell to relax and spend time with friends, Biggby Coffee is sure to prove as a valuable asset to the city.

“I think this store opening in Coppell is a wonderful idea,” Biggby employee and senior Rachel Lommen said. “I think it will become a wonderful study location and a great place to relax and get coffee with a friend. Coppell has been responding well to Biggby, now all we have to do is get the word out that it’s here.”