Learning to enjoy the roughest of days

Ashley Attanucci
Web Manager

Though today was cloudy, dreary and cold (not to mention exceptionally stressful), I still enjoyed it, mostly I think because it is my favorite commercial free music Monday on Kiss FM.

On the way home from school, I bopped to the music on the radio, and I listened closely when the song ended for the DJ’s transition into the next: “Because new music helps your day go faster.” It was the Black Eyed Pea’s new single, my new favorite song to dance to, so I turned the volume up and let a smile spread wide on my face as I let my school stresses melt away and bathed in the simple pleasure of listening to this rare tune. But wait a minute -I had just realized what I had heard. Because new music helps my day go faster. I had to think really hard about that phrase before I realized that I didn’t agree. Why would I want my day to end faster? Though there are 24 hours in a day, we as students know best that the day never seems to last.  If anything, I’d wish for the day to go by slower, letting me savor each aspect, including this song. Even on the most ordinary or miserable of days.

Caught up with homework, projects, tutoring, test preperation, college applications, sports, church, family, all the while trying to juggle a social life, it is so easy to lose ourselves and forget who we are and why we do what we do. Why do you study so hard, or play hard on the field or court, or love hard? Our daily actions continue without true purpose or passion -we eat simply to fuel ourselves through homework and late nights, sleep to be able to get up for classes at 8:20 a.m., and do homework so that we don’t get zeroes in classes. Isn’t there a bigger picture? We lose meaning of what each day should be and who we should be.

Through learning to take each moment slower and embrace and savor each experience, we will learn to appreciate the strangers that enter and leave our lives each week, the weather outside, our family and friends and most importantly our time. We will learn to stop doing thinks for the sake of getting them done and instead begin to do things in forethought of the product and impact it will create. Through finding appreciation again in the little things, a genuine motivation will soon take over our hearts and a true passion will be again ignited to drive our actions in life.

Don’t let the start of the third six weeks burry you in a flurry of work, work, work. Find time to play, meditate and truly unwind. Fully enjoy your midnight snack, the music you listen to tonight and studying for that math test because you know that the reward is worth your efforts.

Check out this link for quick tips on how to juggle all your tasks and stay healthy (this applies to all people, not only programmers!).

Keep in mind that “everyone dies but not everyone lives”, and I hope you enjoy the week!

1