Band returns from state

Arden Radford

Photographer

For many in the CHS marching band the Texas UIL Marching Competition, commonly referred to as State, represents a culmination of many weeks of hard work, tricky marching patterns and difficult music. After traveling to San Antonio this past week, the band returned victorious with ranking of fifth in state- the second highest ranking in Band history.

This years show was a step in a different direction, a ‘showcase of several American composers’ that had ‘depth and featured many sections of the band’ as said by drum major Emily Hyslop. Integrated into this year’s show were props featuring various paintings by Normal Rockwell, a major shift the in the ordinarily regimented and precise style preferred by Mr. Mason.

But did this change and new direction benefit the band? Most students will agree that this year’s show was as hard as ever, but not all are happy with the results.

Senior Alex Park and saxophone section leader voiced his concerns, ‘It was alright’ reflecting some students frustration at scoring better at the preliminary competitions ‘where as at prelims we got third’.

But this view is not shared by all. Senior Emily Hyslop feels that ‘Being named fifth in the state of Texas was an honor’ and adding that although Coppell is host to many fine musicians an talented marchers ‘the competition is getting progressively more difficult each year’. So that receiving a fifth place ranking is an achievement as opposed to a consolation prize.

As with any program, ‘there are good and bad rehearsals’ Emily later added that ‘For the majority of our season, we had strong rehearsals and each student was focused on our goal of making it to the state competition level- with every success, we learned, and with each fall, we learned’.

This was an excellent year for the band, a step in a fresh direction and couldn’t be done without ‘the support of the faculty, administration, and the student body’. Next time you see a band student in the hallways or class congratulate them from a job well done.

Video by Paige Wilson