Florida Senate Race Grows Ever Tighter

By: Chris Cummins

In one of the most important, most tightly contested Senate race in the midterms, in one of the most diverse states in the nation, a white man has convinced voters to stop voting for a black man. Who could do this without being nationally vilified? Why, Bill Clinton, of course. The race in Florida is one of the closest and interesting political spectacles in ages, with former governor Charlie Crist, ousted by the GOP, running as an independent, opposite an anointed son of the Tea Party, Marco Rubio, with the Democrat candidate, a black Representative, Kendrick Meek, bringing up the rear guard. Riding the wave of Tea Party support, Rubio has the edge in many polls, if but a slight one, and the added help of a black candidate splitting votes between himself and Crist. The race seemed to be close but predictable, with Mr. Rubio seeming to have a slight but significant lead throughout the race. That is, until Clinton showed up.
Bill Clinton has enjoyed immense popularity amongst the black community throughout the entirety of his political career, and that popularity seems to have remained intact, despite his retirement from running for political office. Within the recent week, Clinton made it known he asked Meeks to retire from the race, so as to help rather than hinder Crist’s bid for the Senate seat, as the alternative would ostensibly involve splitting Democratic votes. Coming in the early part of the week, Meek’s withdrawal seemed imminent, as most observers seemed to think Clinton’s political sway would still have potency, despite the years removed from any sort of political office. However, in the end, Meek refused to drop out of the race, proclaiming his desire to stay in the race till the bitter end, with the unwritten message being that his determination and responsibility to supporters would force him to do so, despite the fact that it might lead to a Republican victory.

For more information on the race visit: http://www.nytimes.com/2010/10/29/us/politics/29florida.html