President Obama makes time to chat with Jon Stewart

Rebecca Neumann

Entertainment Editor

Yesterday was a very good day for Jon Stewart. His show The Daily Show played host to their first sitting president.

President Barack Obama graced the set with his usual elegance and, of course, his responses to the many criticisms he recieves. He thwarted the notion that his   reform bill was a ‘timid’ leap on huge problem by saying that millions of men and women were now covered, and could not be dropped, by their insurance provider. He also gave the example of a woman in New Hampshire that now would not have to sell her house in order to pay for her cancer treatment.

Many times Stewart asked reasonable questions and received reasonable answers, defending his actions to the nation. However, people hoping for a laugh found few in the interview. Despite The Daily Show‘s usual whimsical mood, the interview was filled with tough questions and very few jokes. The president covered issues of  health care and the economy and talked about his administration’s need to tackle immigration reform as well, a key issue to Republicans and Democrats alike.

While his visit was not strictly fun, the president did have a good sense of humor and laughed at Stewart’s every attempt at levity. Overall, the interview went smoothly, with the the president able to make his point while fitting in with the context of the outlet.