• Have a great summer, Coppell! Publishing resumes Aug. 14

Axelson named new principal at CHS9

CMSN leader replaces Koontz who served since campus’s 2017 opening
On Wednesday, Dr. Greg Axelson was announced as the new principal of CHS9, replacing Dr. Cody Koontz. Dr. Axelson previously served as the principal of CMS North for seven years. On Wednesday, Dr. Greg Axelson was announced as the new principal of CHS9, replacing Dr. Cody Koontz. Dr. Axelson previously served as the principal of CMS North for seven years. Photo courtesy Coppell ISD

On Wednesday morning, Dr. Greg Axelson was announced as the new principal of CHS9. 

Dr. Axelson takes over the position from Dr. Cody Koontz, who has been the principal since the school’s opening in 2017. He will officially be introduced as principal at Monday’s School Board meeting in the LGI Room at Coppell Middle School West at 6 p.m. 

Dr. Koontz accepted the Flower Mound Marcus High School principal position in May. 

“When I found out, it was a huge mixture of feelings,” Dr. Axelson said. “It will be sad to leave Middle School North and all my friends and colleagues here, and I am very proud of North and the work that we have done here. But as I look to the future, I’m very excited about the opportunity to go to CHS9 to become part of the CHS9 family.”

Dr. Axelson began his career in education as a world geography teacher and soccer coach at Desoto Freshman Campus School, then went on to become an assistant principal at Cedar Hill Ninth Grade Center for two years and at Marcus 9th Grade Campus for three years prior to coming to Coppell ISD where he served as principal of Coppell Middle School North for seven years. 

His experience at previous ninth grade centers give him ample background knowledge on what to expect from a freshman-only high school campus such as CHS9.

“Ninth grade centers are obviously very unique, but I think they’re very special in the way that  they are part of the high school and can participate in the high school programs such as fine arts and athletics,Dr. Axelson said.  “On the other hand,  all of the ninth graders have their own counselors, administrators and an entire staff that’s dedicated to helping the freshmen transition from middle school to high school.”

He plans on carrying over values he has built at CMS North by prioritizing instructional leadership and making sure teachers are well accommodated in supporting their students.

“I really hope to continue to support the teachers and make sure they have everything they need to make the student’s classroom experience the best that it can be,” Dr. Axelson said

Dr. Axelson is eager to provide his creative vision for the school and to continue to add to the community feeling that CHS9 has built since its opening in 2017.

“I hope that I will be able to offer suggestions, potential improvements and be able to see opportunities where I can add value during that first year.” Dr. Axelson said. But first and foremost, I need to listen and learn to find out all the great things that are already happening and then add my own spin to things as we go into the future together.”

Follow @anvita_bondada and @CHSCampusNews on X.