• Have a great summer, Coppell! Publishing resumes Aug. 14

Board getting down to business

Trustees discuss plans for 2024-25 school year
Sohana Singh
Coppell High School Sidekick adviser Chase Wofford and Austin Elementary School teacher Heather Naragon accept the awards for District Teachers of the Year, accompanied by the CISD school board and the CHS and Austin Elementary principals.

On Monday night, the Coppell ISD School Board met to delve into proposed changes for the 2024-25 academic year, touching upon updated School Health Advisory Council (SHAC) plans and a new facility evaluation tool.

Outgoing SHAC parent chair Wednesday Foster reviewed percentage changes in tobacco usage, teen obesity, mental wellness and screen usage over the last decade with the board. SHAC provides support for the board, offering potential solutions to these problems.

“These are nights away from your families that you’re pouring over this work,” trustee Leigh Walker said. “It feels good to know that we have this team.”

In addition, Strategic Plan 7.1.1 Facility Evaluation Tool was discussed with the board. During the board’s workshop on May 13, the timeline of events for development, review and release of the new tool was approved. However, trustee Manish Sethi proposed holding more review workshops before the official reveal of the tool.

“I do not feel comfortable having only one session and those few days to make a decision,” Sethi said.

After much discussion, the trustees agreed there may need to be workarounds to have a comprehensive review of the tool.

“We may need to be willing to open our calendars,” president David Caviness said. “We can’t box the process into meeting on Mondays because we meet on Mondays.”

The board also honored the Elementary and Secondary District Teachers of the Year, Heather Naragon and Chase Wofford, as well as two veteran teachers, Diane de Waal and Kim Pearce.

“Kim embodies the belief that teaching is not just a job but a rewarding career,” CISD Dr. Superintendent Brad Hunt said. “She recognizes that lives touched through teaching are unmatched by any other profession.”

Over the summer, the Vonita White Administration Building will be closed for a refresh which is covered by the 2023 bond package. The board will move its meetings to the Coppell Middle School West Large Gathering Instruction room.

Follow Nyah (@nyah_rama) and @CHSCampusNews on X.