13 questions with: Joy Han

Watch The Sidekick staff writer Greeshma Marathu’s video as she takes a peek into CHS9 English teacher Joy Han’s life. Learn more about her personality both inside and outside of school. 

What class do you teach?

I teach English I. 

Why do you teach English I?

Ever since I was little, I used to love reading books. My mom would say, ‘I’m not going to buy you everything, but if you want a book, I’ll buy it for you any time’ and so that really encouraged my love of reading. 

How long have you been teaching? 

This is my 11th year. 

How long have you been teaching in Coppell? 

All 11 years have been in Coppell. 

Why did you choose to teach in Coppell? 

I had some friends that went through the Coppell school systems and graduated and I heard really great things about it so that’s why I was drawn to Coppell. 

What is your favorite part of being a teacher? 

I love interacting with the students. I love seeing those light bulbs go off when they finally get something. Those are my favorite things.

What is your favorite part of your classroom?

My favorite part of my classroom is my little reading corner where kids can relax on the little couches and check out a book.

If you were to teach a different subject, what would it be? 

I would probably teach biology because I like to learn about life and our bodies.

What is a fun fact about yourself? 

I’ve played piano, violin and saxophone in my lifetime. 

If you were not a teacher, what would you do? 

I would probably be a restaurateur or be a chef somewhere because I love to cook.

What is your most memorable teaching moment? 

I have a lot, but just in general, whenever former students tell me what kind of impact I had in their life, that really encourages me and gets me through the day. 

What do you do in your free time?

I like to workout. I like to just drive around, find new food places, find new recipes and cook them.

If you could meet anyone in the world, who would it be? 

It would be my little nephew. And so my cousin just had another baby, and I haven’t met him yet.

Follow Greeshma (@GreeshmaM123) and @CHSCampusNews on X.