• Have a great summer, Coppell! Publishing resumes Aug. 14

Bringing comfort to CHS9:

Meet Stanley, the canine counselor
Rhea Choudhary
CHS9 therapy dog, goldendoodle Stanley Blasingame, serves as the school’s canine-assisted counselor partner. Trained by owner Amy Blasingame, Stanley’s role has positively impacted the campus’s overall atmosphere. Rhea Choudhary.

In the bustling halls of CHS9, a furry counselor has joined the team, bringing wagging tails and comforting snuggles to students in need. 

The introduction of Stanley, a 3-year-old goldendoodle, has been met with excitement and anticipation throughout the school community. 

CHS9 students eagerly await his visits, looking forward to the calming presence and affection he brings. 

“Stanley is our certified therapy dog,” assistant principal Nathan Harvey said. “He is probably the most popular person on campus on the days that he’s here. People are always stopping to pet him and they don’t care if they’re late to class.”

Stanley does more than look cute, he serves a vital role in the school community. As he interacts with students and staff, it is evident that his impact reaches far beyond simply being a therapy dog. He’s become a beloved member of the school community, offering comfort and companionship to all who cross his path.

“He serves a purpose for our kids and our staff,” Harvey said. “There’s plenty of kids that use him and love him. When he comes to the campus, he’s super popular and he’s a great resource for easing anxieties for all of our kids.”

CHS9 counselor and Stanley’s owner Amy Blasingame ensures Stanley is always available to provide support to those who need it. 

“Stanley is something positive for a lot of students  to look forward to, whether they love animals and don’t have a pet at home or they’re seeking comfort due to personal or academic challenges,” Blasingame said. “He is a great resource for not just kids, but also our staff, like every day that Stanley’s here, we love him.

Stanley Blasingame, goldendoodle sensation at CHS9, serves as the school’s canine-assisted counselor partner. Trained by owner Amy Blasingame, Stanley’s weekly routine transformed the campus’s overall atmosphere, consisting of him having individual sessions with students to spontaneous play breaks. Rhea Choudhary. (Rhea Choudhary)

As students encounter the daily rigors of school life, Stanley has become an emblem of positivity and support for the student body. Students have embraced Stanley wholeheartedly.

“It’s really easy for people to open up and advocate for themselves with Stanley around,” freshman Aditi Narayangari said. “He provides a sense of comfort and reassurance that you are not alone in your struggles.”

Introducing a dog to the school environment comes with its own set of precautions. Blasingame ensures that Stanley is always supervised and adheres to strict safety protocols. Students are educated on how to interact with him respectfully, fostering a culture of responsibility and compassion.

[Stanley] and I have gone through training and graduated from a program,” Blasingame added. “Part of that was putting a video out to families in the newsletters, showing them how to interact with Stanley.”

From alleviating stress to promoting a sense of belonging, this four-legged counselor is proving to be an invaluable addition to the school community. With his wagging tail and unconditional love, Stanley is making the halls of CHS9 a brighter and more comforting place for all.

“We are grateful for Stanley and the positive impact he has on our school community,” Harvey said. “His wagging tail and unconditional love truly make a difference.”

Follow @CHSCampusNews on X.