KCBY named finalist for nation’s top newscast

Massi recognized among best broadcast talent
KCBY Executive Leadership Team Members for 2021-22 Thea Massi and Halle Leonard are finalists for a National Academy of Television Arts and Sciences (NATAS) National Student Production Award in the Newscast category. KCBY-TV is also one of five national finalists in the NATAS National Student Production Award Newscast category. Winners will be announced Feb. 1. Photo Courtesy Thea Massi.

Counting down the seconds for two years, KCBY received a long-awaited email over Christmas break detailing not one, but two major accomplishments. 

On Dec. 21, the Foundation of The National Academy of Television Arts and Sciences (NATAS) announced KCBY-TV as a finalist for two of the 2023 National Student Production Awards. Last year, KCBY received state recognition in two categories allowing it to advance to the national level for NATAS awards.

Other nominees for Best Newscast include BNN 2023 from Buchanan High School, CPTV News QuickCUT from Crown Point High School, Lincoln Live 2023 from Gahanna Lincoln High School, and Live Show from Plymouth North High School.

From more than 2000 entries submitted in 24 separate categories, KCBY secured a nomination for its 20th newscast from the 2021-22 school year as well as a nomination for  Coppell High School 2022 graduate Thea Massi’s individual talent reel. In the past, KCBY has been nominated three times and won two NATAS Best Newscasts. KCBY Espanol has been nominated once for a NATAS Best Newscast.

KCBY’s 20th newscast known as its National Press Association Pacemaker newscast is the culmination of the KCBY staff working to create a broadcast showcasing its growth throughout the year. The broadcast encompasses its commitment to diverse, impactful storytelling.

“It was taking everything we’ve learned from the year, and applying it. The show is bits of everyone’s experience and knowledge in one show,” said Massi, who served as senior executive program director.

The newscast detailed a variety of stories ranging from Ketanji Brown Jackson’s nomination for Supreme Court justice to how the Coppell community rallied behind a local waitress to support her battle with cancer. News happening across the country was localized with Coppell perspectives.

“What made it special was the quality of stories we selected,” KCBY-TV adviser Irma Lazos-Kennedy said. “It wasn’t just stories happening on our campus, it was stories happening in our community, state-wide and nationally.

Throughout the production of the show, the KCBY staff was set on creating a unique broadcast. It took risks with new graphics, anchors, backgrounds, interview setups and scripts to create an innovative show.

“We rolled the dice and it worked,” KCBY-TV senior executive program director Anita Goodwin said. “It inspired us to branch out from our typical shows. It validated that there’s no one way to tell a story.

The success of the 20th newscast is primarily credited to the 2021-22 KCBY leadership team, commended by their peers for commitment to the program.

“That was the strongest leadership team I’ve ever had in their ability to own their roles, they began a new trajectory for us. They turned things around creating a mainly student-led program,” Kennedy said. “They coupled hard work with passion. The current leadership team has taken it one step further as a result of their leadership.”

Massi was also recognized for her talent reel in the 2023 NATAS awards. She is the first KCBY student to produce and submit a talent reel for NATAS consideration. Her success pioneered the way for current KCBY students to follow suit.

Former KCBY-TV senior executive program director Thea Massi, a 2022 Coppell High School graduate, is a finalist for a National Academy of Television Arts and Sciences (NATAS) National Student Production Award in the Talent – News or Sports category. KCBY-TV is also one of five national finalists in the NATAS National Student Production Award Newscast category. Winners will be announced Feb. 1. Photo Courtesy Thea Massi.

“She worked so hard,” Kennedy said. “Everything she did, she would put pride into. I’m so happy she gets to have the nomination. She certainly worked her butt off for it.”

Thea’s talent reel showcased her diverse skill set in anchoring, interviewing, sideline reporting, and live commentary but also her energetic love for sports, stemming from her youth.

“I remember when I was in elementary school, it was my dream job to be a sideline reporter,” Massi said. “I’m so happy I made that happen.”

The awards KCBY collects are a great source of pride in the program, but for many members, their value comes from the journey.

“The awards help us keep motivation, but within that, it’s the stories that we tell, the people that we meet, and the relationships we build here,” Goodwin said. “What you’re graduating with in KCBY is people skills, leadership, friendships, and so much more than just awards.”

Winners will be announced Feb. 1 via NATAS web stream beginning at 12 p.m.

“We’re up against some tough schools,” Kennedy said. “It’s nice to know we’re in their company.”

Follow @CHSCampusNews on X.