Campus comes together in colorful, festive Diwali celebration

Rasmita Pydisetti
Twenty-seven CHS9 teachers dressed in traditional Indian wear for Diwali celebrations, organized by Rasmita Pydisetti, on Nov. 10. Diwali is the Hindu celebration of the festival of lights and the triumph of good over evil.

Diwali is the Hindu festival of lights in which you’d come and celebrate ‘the victory over darkness.’ However, this year at the CHS9 campus, it was celebrated a little differently.

On Nov. 10, CHS9 held celebrations for Diwali organized by special education aide Rasmita Pydisetti. The festivities occurred during Block Lunch, as a small stand was set up in the library with cultural decorations and traditional Indian food. 

Freshman Boomika Devi is one of the many who came to the stand during lunch. She remembers it being a very validating experience. 

The teachers decorated the library by putting some diyas, flowers and lamps and it made me feel like I was at home,” Devi said. 

Having people feel good about seeing Diwali celebrated was something Pydisetti wanted to do. She hoped celebrating would make everyone feel welcome to come together and celebrate.

This isn’t the first time Pydisetti has gotten people together to celebrate.

Pydisetti has been celebrating with others since 2020, but it was only with a few other Indian teachers who celebrated Diwali. As the years pass, the turnout has gotten bigger and bigger. This year, 27 teachers came to celebrate as well as students. 

“I didn’t expect this much support,” Pydisetti said.

An unexpected outcome. Pydisetti never thought something like this would happen. To have an environment where she can celebrate not only freely, but with others who appreciate and respect the holiday.

From a once small gathering to a school-wide event, the teachers who celebrated were dressed in traditional Indian clothes, provided by Pydisetti, and a couple other Indian teachers. The teachers wore them the entire day. 

Pydisetti describes how proud she was to see so many people want to celebrate with her. She has always felt included and supported by other teachers and students.

“People thought leaving the country would get rid of your culture, but I’ve never felt like that here,” Pydisetti said. 

When she first started planning this celebration, Pydisetti wanted to make sure that inclusion was spread, along with the joy that came with the festival.

Pydsetti has come to love celebrating with her other teachers and the students at CHS9. She plans to continue to celebrate this way, and hopes that the turnout will continue to grow.

Follow @CHSCampusNews on X.