Comparin reaching for final bar

Star gymnast prepping for final high school season

Coppell senior Davide Comparin practices his bar routine on Dec. 4. Comparin is a level 10 gymnast at Texas Dreams Gymnastics in Coppell, previously placing first at nationals, practicing daily from 3-7 p.m. (Rhea Choudhary)

Texas Dreams gymnasium in Coppell echoes with the rhythmic thud of hands against resin-coated bars as chalk dust floats through the air. With fully stretched arms each in acute angles, Coppell senior level 10 gymnast Davide Comparin sticks his landing during his daily bar routine. 

Comparin’s gymnastics journey began at age 7 when his parents, recognizing his limitless energy, enrolled him in the world of flips, twists and balance beams. Little did they know at the time that this decision would set the stage for a future respectable career spanning over a decade.

With a path etched towards West Point Military Academy beginning in 2024, Comparin’s commitment has remained consistent as the staple of his day. From 3-7 p.m., six days a week, he sticks himself in the gym, dedicating 24 hours per week. 

Coppell senior Davide Comparin practices his bar routine on Dec. 4. Comparin is a Level 10 gymnast at Texas Dreams Gymnastics in Coppell, previously placing first at nationals, practicing daily from 3-7 p.m. (Rhea Choudhary)

Comparin focuses on perfecting each routine to reach his potential for the upcoming competition season, beginning mid-January. His efforts have earned him numerous accolades in the most recent competition season, where he obtained victory at state, regionals and nationals, acquiring first place all-around in each event.

“Winning first at nationals last year was one of the happiest moments of my life because it felt great to know that my hard work paid off, especially with all of my family being there,” Comparin said. “I don’t ever get tired of practicing gymnastics itself, however, I do expectedly get exhausted doing both school and gymnastics throughout the week, yet I probably push myself more within gymnastics rather than in school.”

However, Comparin’s journey wasn’t without its share of challenges. While a two-year hardship with a back injury from 2019-2021 could have been a career-ending setback or an expected reason to quit, it became a defining chapter for Comparin.

“After my back injury, all I could think about every day was getting back into the gym,” Comparin said. “I would wake up every morning and immediately start lifting weights to condition and would look forward to heading to the gym to do whatever form of practice I was capable of.”

Comparin is a part of a team of 15 level 10 male gymnasts and his favorite memories have always correlated to competing with his team. Aside from practicing with one another daily, and motivating each other, Comparin and his teammates are all close, hanging out at least once a week.

“When I first met Davide around five years ago,  I thought I would never get to know him as he seemed a little weird, however, he always gives us a good laugh and has an outgoing personality,” said Texas Dreams level 10 gymnast Trey Thompson, a junior at Frisco High School. “While Davide is very entertaining, he always puts lots of hard work into gymnastics and will only push you to make you better.”

Coppell senior Davide Comparin sticks his landing after practicing his bar routine on Dec. 4. Comparin is a level 10 gymnast at Texas Dreams Gymnastics in Coppell, previously placing first at nationals, practicing daily from 3-7 p.m. (Rhea Choudhary)

In his junior year, Comparin knew he wanted to be a part of the Navy, Air Force or West Point Military Academy. Comparin then began his lengthy application process and was certain he wanted to attend West Point when he got his letter of assurance as his junior year concluded in May.

“When I first moved to this area from Ohio six years ago, Davide was the first friend I made at the gym, especially because I remember how he reached out to me,” Coppell senior and Texas Dreams level 10 gymnast Thomas Morrow said. “We remained close on the team because we all grew up together, and now it’s great to know that someone supportive like Davide will also attend West Point next year with me.”

As his final high school season approaches and with West Point in his future, Comparin is grateful for his gymnastics journey.

“While it is difficult to juggle school and a sport, I believe you have to put all your effort into what it is you truly enjoy doing,” Comparin said. “Even though it gets hard, it’s beneficial to figure out what works best for you.”

Follow Rhea Choudhary (@rhea_choud) and @CHSCampusNews on X