Board implements new restorative practices, outlines future renovation plans

Yug Talukdar
Coppell ISD Board trustee Leigh Walker discusses district updates at a meeting Monday in the Vonita White Administration Building. The board talked about future plans on campus modernizations, mental health programs, and district funding.

On Monday, the Coppell ISD Board of Trustees looked through some new restorative practices: the Positive Behavioral Interventions (PBIS) and the Multi-Tiered Systems of Support (MTSS) and also outlined some future renovation plans in certain buildings in the district.

PBIS and MTSS provide a trauma-informed space for students who experience or have experienced trauma of any form. 

“Predictability is a huge safety factor for them, and knowing the rules of the game before you get in the game are the two things I love about the PBIS,” CISD coordinator of counseling and social emotional learning Annie Lenew said.

The purpose of these practices are met by gathering student information, through methods such as panoramic surveying and screening, as well as through the help of T-chat.

T-chat is a partnership the district has with the children’s hospital, which provides free counseling services to students whose families cannot afford insurance. This year, there is a special education counselor who works with these students to provide the support they need. 

The district is planning on adding new amenities in Valley Ranch Elementary School. These include a new central white board in the library, a brighter and more open staircase and a bigger art room with the addition of a glass-glazing wall. 

“This is so exciting,” trustee Leigh Walker said. “I cannot even fathom any of this stuff, and to see it is so cool.”

There will also be a staging area at the other end of the wall so that the next class can enter more smoothly.

“Wasting minutes is not fun, especially when you’re not in there too long,” CISD chief operations officer Chris Trotter said.

A new fine arts center for Coppell High School will also be underway soon.

“There will be a front facade for kids to sit out in and enjoy their time on beautiful days,” Trotter said. “There will also be an accent wall to add some maturity to the building.”

There will also be the addition of a band hall, choir room, gymnasium and dressing rooms with a large store room for cheer and color guard.

Renovations are expected to be completed in July of 2025.

Follow @CHSCampusNews on X.