Clinched: Coppell corrals Flower Mound for district championship

Ainsley Dwyer
Coppell coach Antonio Wiley addresses his team after its 51-21 victory against Flower Mound at Buddy Echols Field on Friday. The Cowboys remain unbeaten in District 6-6A and 9-0 overall in the season.

After nine consecutive victories, the Coppell football team has grown accustomed to celebrating on Friday nights. Last night, it celebrated the fruition of its labor by clinching the District 6-6A championship. 

Coppell (9-0, 6-0 in District 6-6A) cruised to 51-21 victory over Flower Mound (4-5, 2-4) at Buddy Echols Field. The game had an earlier than usual kickoff at 5 p.m. due to potential thunderstorms later in the evening. 

According to Dave Campbell’s Texas Football managing editor Greg Tepper, this is Coppell’s first district championship since 2017 and seventh in program history. 

“We’ve already clinched our first district championship and that’s a big deal,” Wiley said. “Hopefully many more are coming, but the truth is that we are still here and we’ve still got this. It’s a big win and I’m so proud of the team.”

However, complete ownership of the title is not official yet.

Currently, Lewisville is 5-1, its only district loss being to Coppell. The Farmers face Hebron (5-4, 3-3) next week and Coppell plays at Plano. A Coppell loss and Lewisville win would leave them in a first-place tie. This is confirmed by Coppell assistant coach Zack Gonzalez. 

Regardless of whether the title will be shared, the Cowboys are still confirmed as district champions after yesterday’s victory.

Coppell shut out Flower Mound in the first half, leading 38-0 by halftime. Scoring plays included Coppell senior wide receiver Baron Tipton with two touchdowns, junior wide receiver Tucker Cusano with two touchdowns, senior wide receiver Ayrion Sneed with one touchdown and junior wide receiver Bryson Patten. 

Coppell senior tight end Aaron Blankenship scored the Cowboys final touchdown of the night with eight minutes remaining in the game, but Flower Mound was able to score two more touchdowns before the end of the game. 

Though playoffs are less than two weeks away, the Cowboys continue focusing on finishing out the regular season before beginning playoff preparation. 

“Everyone is definitely thinking about playoffs, but we’re worrying about what’s happening right now and who we will play at the end of the week, not who we might play in three weeks,” Tipton said. 

Follow Ava (@avakjohnson4) and @SidekickSports on X.