Guyer awaits district champions as dream of state title begins

Wildcats no match for undefeated Cowboys in regular season finale
The+Coppell+football+team+holds+the+Class+6-6A+district+championship+trophy+at+John+Clark+Stadium+on+Friday.+Coppell+defeated+Plano+44-0%2C+to+finish+the+regular+season+10-0.+
Ava Johnson
The Coppell football team holds the Class 6-6A district championship trophy at John Clark Stadium on Friday. Coppell defeated Plano 44-0, to finish the regular season 10-0.

Ten consecutive victories for the Coppell football team solidifies its standing as among the best in Texas.

After clinching the District 6-6A championship last week, Coppell kept the winning streak alive with a 44-0 win over Plano Friday night at John Clark Stadium 

Coppell plays Denton Guyer on Friday at 7:00 p.m. in the Class 6A Division II Region I bi-district playoffs at Buddy Echols Field. 

“These guys have played so hard all year,” Coppell coach Antonio Wiley said. “I’m proud of this team and these guys and I believe we still have football left to be played.”

The Cowboys are 10-0 for the first time since the 2012 football season where Coppell advanced to the area playoffs before losing to DeSoto. 

“It feels amazing to be with this squad and have these playmakers around me,” junior quarterback Edward Griffin said. “We went out there every game and showed out and I think that is what makes us stand out.”

Coppell has shifted their focus now to the playoffs.

“We want to practice during Thanksgiving break,” Wiley said. “We want to get to December and play at that huge level.” 

Being unbeaten, the expectations to perform well at playoffs are exceedingly high.

“There’s obviously pressure for the players to go out and perform,” Coppell head offensive coordinator Heath Naragon said. “At the end of the day the kids are playing football. They go out there to give their best.”

Coppell had a quick start in the first quarter with back-to-back touchdowns by senior wide receiver Aryion Sneed.

Coppell senior wide receiver Ayrion Sneed scores on a touchdown reception from junior quarterback Edward Griffin. Coppell defeated Plano 44-0, to finish the regular season 10-0.
(Ava Johnson)

In the second quarter, it was all Cowboys with a field goal by junior Bryson Patten followed by an interception and then two touchdowns by junior wide receiver Tucker Cusano to put the Cowboys up 30-0 at halftime.

The third and fourth quarters featured an interception by senior safety Diallo Hall which turned into a three yard touchdown for Xavier Mosely. Junior tight end Chris Searcy scored the final touchdown on a fourth down late in the fourth quarter

“We needed to come out this week and do our thing,” Wiley said. “Now we can go into the playoffs more confident than ever and ready to show what we can do.”

Follow @namir_awan and @SidekickSports on X.