Coppell MUN competes in first conference, prepares for future events

by Divya Kumar
News Editor

This past Saturday, Oct. 2, the Coppell High School Model United Nations team competed in their first conference of the year at Baylor University in Waco. For the first ever conference, the team met with great success and used the experience to bolster their skills for upcoming events.

The three countries chosen by the CHS team to represent in this ‘mock’ United Nations conference were Djibouti, Switzerland and Australia. As part of their preparation, the team was responsible for researching several facets of information about their respective country – ranging from issues such as healthcare to educational reform – which they then discussed in a room along with other members from other schools that represented different countries.

Beginning with registration at 8:30a.m., the competition lasted from 9a.m. to 3:30p.m., ending with an award ceremony that capped off an hour later. Roughly 25 CHS students attended this conference, and it was their first one for many of them. Vice President of the club, junior Jimmy Kwan, ended up taking home the award of “Outstanding Delegate in the UN Developmental Program.”

As part of an annual conference, this Baylor event is just one of the many that the CHS MUN team plans on participating in. With a UNT conference just around the corner on October 30th, the team has their work cut out for them in using this past experience to build upon for future triumphs.

“I’m so glad Coppell MUN was able to participate in another conference in the area,” president Meera Patel said. “This one was tough to get running because it was so early in the year, but I really think the members benefitted from learning what MUN is and participating in an actual conference this early in October. I’m so proud of all our members and can’t wait for our next conference.”

For those interested in being a part of the MUN club and participating in upcoming conferences, email Meera Patel ([email protected]) or sponsor Michael Brock ([email protected].)

1