Dorhout sheds dragon skin to become proud Cowgirl

By Loren Hughes

New associate principal Leanne Dorhout mingles with seniors Sarah Thomas and Grace Kennedy (left to right), before school.

Last December, Coppell High School’s former associate principal P.J. Giamanco turned in his red and black for Southlake green. This year, the school’s new associate principal Leanne Dorhout has done the complete opposite, transforming from a Dragon to a Cowboy.

Before coming to CHS, Dorhout’s school days were full of adventure, something not many high school students can say for themselves. Raised in Iowa, Dorhout spent the better part of her junior year of high school studying overseas in Norway. She also studied in Wales during her college years, before graduating from Central College in Iowa with a degree in English.

“I loved high school,” Dorhout said. “My high school in Iowa wanted me to come home from Wales for my senior year and graduation, and that’s understandable, but I had so much fun there.”

Dorhout became an English teacher at Colleyville Heritage High School upon moving to Texas almost 10 years ago. She then became the assistant principal at Southlake Carroll High School for four years prior to accepting Coppell’s associate principal position.

“I was very familiar with Coppell, and I recognized it as a welcoming and friendly place,” Dorhout said. “I was elated when I found out I got the position because you can tell there is a lot of pride and excitement in being here.”

Dorhout is currently a student at Tarleton State University in Stephenville, working on her doctorate in educational leadership. To add to her full schedule, Dorhout has put forth an effort to try and build new relationships with numerous students.

“She has just jumped right in and done phenomenal so far,” Principal Brad Hunt said. “She even went on the Student Leadership Retreat and got to know the students there.”

Even though the school year is just getting started, Dorhout has already seemed to have adjusted to her new role with comfort and ease.

“When I first saw her, she looked genuinely excited to be a part of Coppell High School,” senior Janny Lim said. “She seemed so approachable and is always laughing.”

Dorhout has also already made it a mission to become as involved as possible in various extra-curricular activities. Dorhout can be seen at the football games and is also excited to attend other events, such as theater productions and musicals.

“She’s already a Cowgirl,” assistant principal Laura Stout said. “At the pep rally, she had her gun in the air for the alma mater right away, and it took her no time to do it.”

Dorhout also hopes to try and instill in students the importance of enjoying the school they attend and forming relationships with their teachers.

“Sometimes teachers and administrators are viewed as individuals who fulfill a job whereas a lot of the faculty members here desire to make a difference in their students’ lives,” Dorhout said. “These are important years in the students’ lives, and it is a privilege to be here during them.”