Shooting at Allen Premium Outlets leaves nine dead

Local hub indefinitely closed

Srihari Yechangunja

On Saturday, shots fired in Allen Premium Outlets left nine dead with seven others injured. Allen Premium Outlets, located about 30 minutes away from Coppell, is closed indefinitely after the incident.

Sri Achanta, Executive News Editor

On Saturday at around 3:30 p.m., shots were fired at Allen Premium Outlets, with eight victims dead and the gunman shot dead by an Allen police officer. Seven others were wounded in the incident. 

“Our hearts were broken [Saturday] and we are here to offer you our full support,” Allen Mayor Ken Fulk said according to The Dallas Morning News.

Allen Premium Outlets is a local hub for Coppell community residents and is a mere 30 minutes away from Coppell High School.

Allen ISD is now offering counseling services to any student who may ask.

“The Allen ISD community continues to grieve following the senseless tragedy at the Allen Premium Outlets,” Allen ISD said in a district message on Sunday. “The counseling department is prepared to meet with any student or staff member who is struggling or feels overwhelmed on Monday, May 8, and will continue to be available through the end of the school year. Counselors will be accessible at each school, and additional counseling support services will be dispatched to a specific campus if the need arises.”

Allen Premium Outlets is closed indefinitely.

“We are horrified by the senseless tragedy at Allen Premium Outlets and are outraged by the violence that continues to plague our country,” Allen Premium Outlets states on its website. “Our thoughts and prayers are with the victims, their families and others affected by this heinous act. We are thankful for the Allen Police Officer’s heroic actions and for the support of all the first responders.”

Earlier on Saturday, Allen ISD officials became aware of a social media post indicating that there had been a threat written inside a bathroom stall at Lowery Freshman Center.

According to the district message, “Regarding the situation from Lowery Freshman Center referenced in Saturday’s message, Allen ISD has been in close contact with the Allen Police Department to conduct a thorough investigation. Based on the evidence, law enforcement has determined there is no credible threat to the school. Regardless, Allen ISD is working in close partnership with APD School Resource Officers to provide an enhanced police and security presence at the Lowery campus [today] while still providing substantial SRO coverage at other Allen ISD campuses.”

Follow Sri (@sriachanta_ ) and @CHSCampusNews on Twitter