Community votes in support of all CISD bond propositions

Caviness wins reelection, while Raval takes Place 4 on school board

David+Caviness+and+Ranna+Raval+set+up+booths+at+Town+Center+on+election+day.+Unofficial+results+show+that+the+bond+package+has+passed%2C+as+well+as+Coppell+City+Council+Place+1+Jim+Walker%2C+CISD+Board+of+Trustees+Place+4+Ranna+Raval+and+CISD+Board+of+Trustees+Place+5+David+Caviness+leading+the+polls.+

Sameeha Syed

David Caviness and Ranna Raval set up booths at Town Center on election day. Unofficial results show that the bond package has passed, as well as Coppell City Council Place 1 Jim Walker, CISD Board of Trustees Place 4 Ranna Raval and CISD Board of Trustees Place 5 David Caviness leading the polls.

Angelina Liu, Executive Editor-in-Chief

Bond Propositions A, B, C and D received enough votes for passage, according to unofficial results from the May 6 joint election. Results also show Coppell City Council Place 1 Jim Walker, Coppell ISD Board of trustees Place 4 Ranna Raval and CISD Board of Trustess Place 5 David Caviness as winners in their respective races.

Election results for the CISD Board are unofficial until the votes are canvassed and certified during the Board Workshop on May 15 at 5:30 p.m. Incumbent Place 7 trustee Jobby Mathew won reelection after running unopposed.

For Place 4,  Raval received 2,360 (40.27%) votes,  Jonathan Powers received 2,236 (38.16%) votes and Samit Patel received 1,264 (21.57%) votes. Caviness received 3,280 votes (54.43%).

Proposition A is the largest bond package totaling $269,584,00. It includes priority condition improvements at all CISD campuses, safety and security features and the addition of several fine art spaced and STEM multi-purpose labs. Proposition A received a total of 6,173 votes with 3,981 votes (64.49%) for the proposition and 2,192 votes (35.51%) against.

Proposition B is the second largest bond package totaling $39,472,000. It includes  technology upgrades and lifecycle replacements of student and staff devices, wireless access and audio/visual equipment. Proposition B received a total of 6,177 votes with 3,983 (64.48%) for the proposition and 2,194 (35.52%) against.

Proposition C is  the smallest bond package totaling $2,931,000. It includes renovations to Buddy Echols Field, track and turf lifecycle replacements and seat backs. Proposition C received a total of 6,175 votes with 3,240 (52.47%) for the proposition and 2,935 (47.53%) against.

Proposition D is the third largest bond package totaling $9,524,000. It includes Coppell High School field house turf lifecycle replacement, tennis center improvements and locker room addition. Proposition D received a total of 6,181 votes with 3,373 (54.57%) for the proposition and 2,808 (45.43%) against.

“I am happy to share that the unofficial results from the May 6 Election are in, and I am incredibly proud to say that all four propositions in the Coppell ISD 2023 Bond have passed,” CISD Superintendent Dr. Brad Hunt said in a district message. “I want to thank our community for voting and participating in this process, which is an essential part of our district’s future success. This is why I am grateful to call Coppell ISD my home, because of its continued support of public education, our teachers and, most importantly, our kids.”

As of May 6 at 11:15 p.m,  Walker has won the council’s Place 1 seat with 3,340 votes against candidate Ramesh Premkumar (2,076 votes).

Incumbent Place 3 council member Don Carroll, Place 5 council member John Jun and Place 7 council member Mark Hill ran unopposed and will remain in their respective seats.

Follow Angelina (@angelinaliiu ) and @CHSCampusNews on Twitter