Gogineni advances to HOSA International Leadership Conference as state champion in Dental Terminology

Courtesy photo

Coppell High School’s Parliamentary Procedure team attended Health Occupational Students of America’s (HOSA) State Leadership Conference on March 28-30 at Round Rock. The group placed seventh. Kshetra Polavarapu

Anushree De, Advertising and Circulations Manager

Coppell High School junior Rishitha Gogineni watches in anticipation as the awards slide is presented for her event: Dental Terminology. She works her way from the bottom of the slide. 

“They announced names, but they also put everyone’s names [on the slide],” Gogineni said. “I was looking at fifth place, and I was like I’m not in there.”

Her eyes stop as she finds her name at the top, first place. 

“I was like, ‘oh, I’m there,’” Gogineni said. “I went up a little confused but really happy.”

On Jan. 13 at Allen High School, the Coppell High School Health Occupations Students of America (HOSA) chapter broke its school record when 45 students were eligible for the state competition. After an intense period of practice and preparation, these students competed at HOSA’s State Leadership Conference on March 28 – 30 in Round Rock.

Forty-five Coppell High School Health Occupational Students of America state competitors stand in front of Kalahari Resort for HOSA’s State Leadership Conference on March 28-30 at Round Rock. CHS junior Rishitha Gogineni advanced to the HOSA International Leadership Conference (ILC) in Dallas on June 21-24 for her first place finish in Dental Terminology. (Photo courtesy Bill Borowski)

Of the 45 students, Gogineni is the only advancing competitor to the HOSA International Leadership Conference (ILC) in Dallas on June 21-24. CHS seniors Lakshya Vannala, Neha Darinagadu, Richa Chinkakhandi and Shivani Adimeti won fifth place in Creative Problem Solving and sophomore Aliyah Nesar won fourth place in extemporaneous writing, serving as alternates for ILC. 

Gogineni credits her success to her daily preparation. 

“I went through the resources on HOSA, and I saw a couple textbooks that were helpful,” Gogineni said. “I sat down for a couple minutes every day to read the textbook. I looked at specific chapters because the test tests you on specific material. If you set a little time every day for yourself, it is not that hard to prepare.”

Only students ranked top five in their select event are eligible for internationals. Coppell’s alternates can attend the international contest but will not compete unless a qualifier is unable.

Various students in Coppell High School also placed in top 10 for their respective event (view sidebar).

“Students did really well on the first day during testing,” CHS HOSA adviser and Health Science Technology (HST) teacher Bill Borowski said. “We have written tests in one day. They seed everybody, and then they go to the competition.”

For CHS Health Science Technology (HST) teacher Ray Pool, the conference enabled students to broadcast themselves outside of classrooms.

“It is enjoyable to see students grow and become leaders as they work in groups,” Pool said. “It is unique to see both sides of students: their academic side and their competitive side.”

Gogineni offers simple advice to students looking to be successful in HOSA. 

“Do the event you’re actually interested in,” Gogineni said. “You want to spend time on something that you want to do.”

Follow Anushree De (@anushree_night) and @CHSCampusNews on Twitter.

Coppell seniors Parthiv Javangula, Hrishikesh Ambekar (HOSA officer), Neel Chalemela (HOSA officer), Shrithan Oruganti (HOSA officer), Shreya Ravi, Anuja Manjrekar and Ananya Agarwal (HOSA president) get ready for Health Occupational Students of America’s (HOSA) State Leadership Conference opening ceremony. The State Leadership Conference was held on March 28-30 at the Kalahari Resort in Round Rock. (Photo courtesy Shreya Ravi)