Lunch room food: The Otis Spunkmeyer

Photo by Viviana Trevino

by Chase Porter
Video by Davis Deloach and Josh Oden

In the lunch room there are many types of food to pick from, from pizza to the mystery foods of the international line, but one delectable in the cafeteria has become the most popular: the Otis Spunkmeyer cookie.

The cookies have been around for about five years now and the students here at CHS can’t get enough of them. Many students have one or more cookies during the lunch period, and for the unfortunate few in C lunch, there are rarely enough cookies left for the last lunch of the day.             

The extremely dedicated lunch ladies that make these cookies say that they make them fresh everyday and they sell out every lunch. Three hundred to 400 cookies are baked everyday and sold throughout every line.

“We use the typical cookie recipe for the cookie mix: flower, sugar, brown sugar, milk, eggs, and chocolate chips,” CHS lunch lady Gina Honza said.

Current students at CHS have been enjoying these cookies from the first bite.

“I have been eating these cookies since freshman year,” junior  Dani Utoff said. “I have been eating these cookies the same way since last year; I eat the outside first.”     

As you can see all of the students that enjoy these cookies have a routine to picking them out of the basket and eating them for maximum enjoyment. When walking through the line students like to examine the cookies first to make sure they can see the gooey chocolate through the wrapping. Once at the table there are multiple ways to enjoy the Otis Spunkmeyer cookie.

Junior Chase Duncan eats his cookies in a very unique way.

“I first tear open the wrapping so it doesn’t touch the table, then I like to cut the cookie with a spoon so I don’t get the chocolate on my fingers,” Duncan said.

Most people like to set the cookie on the wrapping or their plate so that it does not touch the table. Then some like to break it into pieces or just start digging in. Many students buy and eat these cookies, but are the health facts affecting the cookie sales?

Obviously cookies, especially Otis Spunkmeyers cookies, have large amounts of sugar. This sugar makes up the dough and the chocolate but the lunch room is allowed to sell them because they have met previous health requirements. The real question is people starting to be weary of the amount of sugar in these yummy cookies?

“Even though these cookies are unhealthy it doesn’t stop the students from buying them at all,” Honza said.

Otis Spunkmeyer cookies have been a hit since they arrived in the lunch lines but why are they being bought in such large quantities? Simply because they are warm, gooey chocolate chip cookies and it is evident that Coppell High School students love them. So, if you are a new student or someone who just hasn’t had the guts to take one of these large cookies on go into the lunch room this week and enjoy.

1