Your Own Sidekick: How to stay motivated in school

Srihari Yechangunja

Your Own Sidekick is a Sidekick series where staff members answer questions and offer advice on various topics. Stories will be posted weekly on Fridays.

Ishana Sharma, Staff Writer

School commences after a long two and a half months, and you realize you are already behind or just about caught up with the thick stack of work, only to find that there is more impending. Now, you are sucked into the incessant rabbit hole of deadlines, due dates and commitments.

This is a stressful and draining cycle for students of all ages. When a student loses track of what they need to do, their stress and anxiety can make them feel unmotivated, causing them to procrastinate even more. It can also be the other way around; the student can lose motivation in their work, causing them to delay it further.

Fortunately, this is not a never-ending cycle. There are several proactive techniques that can be used to end and prevent this stressful situation.

One way is to manage your time efficiently. Writing down a time slot for each task gives your brain structure as to what needs to be done and how long it will take. Many of your action items are not as lengthy as you anticipate and you will realize it once it is written down. When you can visually see your to-do list, it makes your schedule clearer which keeps you motivated.

Utilizing class time is another efficient way to keep up with work, hence aiding in remaining motivated. Instead of telling yourself that you will work on it at home and using free time to be on your phone or do work from other classes, you can use that time to work on the assignment, especially if it is a class where you are already behind or find it challenging. This way, you will be able to free up some time after school as well, instead of spending time working on something you could have completed during class. Paying attention in class is also very beneficial, as you will not have to spend extra time outside of class to learn that concept or material.

Keeping a personal calendar of upcoming tests, projects and quizzes is useful for seeing each class’ information in one place. This allows you to study and be prepared ahead of time, which will result in a smaller chance of procrastination and cramming sessions the night before. This will also free up more time for work in other classes and for your favorite hobbies and pastimes.

Set your own deadlines. If there is a project that is due in two weeks or a month, get it done as early as you can. That deadline approaches at an oddly quick pace, and soon enough you find yourself hastily getting it done the previous night. Coming up with your own deadlines before the due date, and breaking the goal down into smaller pieces prevents exactly this from happening and allows you to finish with plenty of time to spare. Each time you meet your own deadline, reward yourself, whether it be with candy, an additional 30 minutes of Netflix, a stroll outside or anything that you enjoy doing. This will keep you motivated to meet each of your deadlines as you will have something to look forward to when you meet that goal.

This requires self discipline, but by starting out with small steps, these strategies will eventually become a habit. Being proactive and motivated in school is not as hard as it seems; it not only improves grades, but also a person’s mental well-being, with them being less worried and panicked about their approaching deadlines.

Follow @CHSCampusNews on Twitter.