New changes of CHS

Video by Rumill Batts
KCBY

Carolyn Bossmann
KCBY

Story by Brian Hwu
Photographer, Graphic Designer

Every year, CHS looks for new ways to make the school a better place for students. This year, a couple of new rules have been added for the better. 

Students are now allowed to bring clear bottled water to classes as opposed to previous years when drinks were not allowed at all. This new change has been highly taken in with positive feedback. 

“Bringing water to class was a good idea,” English teacher Laura Sansone said. “The brain needs water and it helps students think better. It also saves them from getting up to get drinks and causes them to not leave the classroom as much.” 

With water just out of arm’s reach, there is no need for leaving the classroom which saves a lot of time. 

“Students get thirsty a lot, it’s more convenient because now students don’t have to make trips to the water fountain,” Sophomore Daniel Lian said. 

In addition, students are also allowed to bring their backpacks to class. In previous years, backpacks were prohibited in classrooms. As well as a strict policy on leaving backpacks outside in the hallway, with the new rule of backpacks students do not have to worry about unattended items being stolen. 

This year, students are allowed to bring their backpacks and bags to classrooms. Photo by Brian Hwu.

“You have more room to bring things with you,” Senior Joelta Seneh said. “Not having to go to your locker during passing period saves more time.” 

“Students don’t have to go to their lockers as much,” Sansone said, “they have everything they need with them.” 

With not having to worry about six minute passing periods and walking across the school just to get to your locker, students find it much easier to carry their things with them. 

CHS has also been upgrading the school’s technology including Google Apps as an alternative to Blackboard. With Google Apps, students can turn in assignments digitally and receive more documents and information from their teachers. There is also a greater interaction online with the new e-mail and Google sites. 

“It’s much more convenient then Blackboard, there’s more stuff that you can get off from Google Apps and everything is in one place,” Lian said. 

Students are still able to bring their laptops to class. There are many advantages to laptops such as an easier access to information. 

“Laptops get more things done and you have less homework,” Seneh said. “You don’t have to work late at school and it’s easier instead of going to the library.” 

Throughout high school, time and convenience is a big issue. But with the addition of these new rules, CHS is becoming a better and easier learning environment for students.