New year, new CHS

CHS welcomes new staff, bell schedule, mural

Coppell+High+School+students+walk+through+the+upstairs+C+hall+as+they+leave+their+first+period+classes+on+the+first+day+of+school+on+Wednesday.CHS+and+CHS9+both+have+reimplemented+C+days+on+most+Fridays+for+the+2022-23+school+year.+

Nandini Muresh

Coppell High School students walk through the upstairs C hall as they leave their first period classes on the first day of school on Wednesday.CHS and CHS9 both have reimplemented C days on most Fridays for the 2022-23 school year.

Sri Achanta, Executive News Editor

Scattered among the halls of Coppell High School are the familiar faces of educators and students. But new arrivals of sophomores, teachers and staff dot the familiar crowd of the 2022-23 school year, perhaps the epitomized representation of the proverb: out with the old, in with the new

A variation from previous years is the degree of change in CHS staff. New teachers can be seen in each hallway preparing to meet their students with a smile on their faces.

The newness does not end there. CHS has updated its bell schedule, officially ending school at 4:15 p.m and reimplementing C days. 

The official bell schedule now follows the schedule reminiscent of the first semester 2019-20 school year, with A and B days alternating Monday through Thursday and C Days on Friday. C days will have all eight periods for 45 minutes each. Lunch timings for C days will be based on the third period class.

Some students are neutral to the reinstatement of C days. 

“I think it’s a good idea because last year I would get confused and forget which classes I had which day,” CHS junior Mira Klem said. “But, I’m not sure how much we’re going to be able to get done in 45 minutes.”

Other students appreciate how no tests and quizzes can be administered on C days.

“We don’t have any tests and quizzes so I don’t have to study and freak out Fridays,” CHS junior Aditri Chikkam said. “My Fridays can be more chill and I can enjoy my Fridays.”

Another, more subtle, update is a new mural located on the wall of the pit under B hall. The old mural was painted by a former CHS student with the intent of capturing the school and school culture.

CHS senior Jeffery Wang took on the task of creating a new mural for his Eagle Scout project where he and his fellow troopers worked over the summer to create a mural that would better represent the diversity at school.

“The inspiration behind the mural was [that] I saw the old mural that didn’t fit the current cultural environment,” Wang said. “I wanted to include the other disciplines at CHS while also encapturing the cowboy spirit and the diversity that we give.”