Sixth inning rally pushes Cowgirls to No. 2 playoff seed

Anjali Vishwanath, Daily News/Assignment Editor

At the bottom of the sixth, the Coppell softball team had the bases loaded with sophomore right fielder Mallory Moore up at bat. Moore fouled off pitches until she was struck on the elbow by a pitch, allowing her to walk to first while teammate Coppell junior right outfielder Hannah Gullatt stepped up to score Coppell’s first run of the game.

Next, Coppell junior catcher Medleigh Danchak stepped up to bat with bases loaded. Danchak singled, allowing Coppell senior right fielder Adrinna Erichsen and Coppell junior first baseman Emily Fischetti to cross home, bringing the game to its final score of 3-2, Coppell.

“I would say starting the rally again [was the highlight of the game for me],” Gullatt said. “Because we were down 2-0 and it was very stressful. We were bases loaded and it was very good that Mallory got hit so we could get in a run, and it kept the rally going.”

The Cowgirls clinched the second seed from District 6-6A with Friday’s thrilling 3-2 victory over Flower Mound at Coppell ISD Baseball/Softball Complex. Coppell opens the Class 6A Region I bi-district playoffs best-of-three series against Allen with Game 1 on Thursday at 7:15 p.m. at CISD Baseball/Softball Complex.

Game 2 is at 7:15 p.m. on Friday at Allen. If necessary, Game 3 is 1 p.m. Saturday at Allen. 

Coppell’s rally followed the top of the sixth inning of Friday’s game, in which Flower Mound stole home for the game’s first run after five scoreless innings. Moments later, the Jaguars scored the game’s second run, leaving Coppell senior pitcher Katherine Miller to quickly end the rally.

“I feel so good, because we’ve never lost at our home field [this season],” Fischetti said. “So I knew we could do it, and I just knew we had so much energy going into this, so I knew we could pull it off.”

Miller struck out the side in the seventh to give the Cowgirls the victory.

“We do this saying, ‘let’s get this bread, always pushing through to get those final crumbs,” Fischetti said.

“And we did! Got those final crumbs,” Gullatt chimed in.

Follow Anjali (@anjuvishwanath) and @SidekickSports on Twitter.