Winter weather brings about schedule changes for district secondary schools

Aliya Zakir

Snow covers the streets of the Parkside community of Irving on Feb. 3. Coppell ISD is adding five minutes to the Coppell High School, CHS9, New Tech @ Coppell and Victory Place @ Coppell schedules to make up for the instructional minutes lost after the Feb. 3-4 school closure.

Anjali Vishwanath, Daily News/Assignment Editor

To make up for lost instructional time after Feb. 3-4 school closures, Coppell ISD “will use built-in instructional minutes for elementary and middle schools and adjust the dismissal time for our high schools in order to meet the state-required instructional minutes for the school year.”

CISD high schools will need to add five minutes of instructional time to every day after Feb. 14 to fourth and eighth period classes to meet the state’s requirement of 75,600 instructional minutes. Dismissal time for Coppell High School, CHS9, New Tech High @ Coppell and Victory Place @ Coppell will be 4:15 p.m. rather than the usual 4:10 p.m. CISD’s elementary and middle schools will not face schedule changes; these schools had enough extra instructional time exceeding the state’s requirement even after two days of closures.

The Feb. 18 district holiday and Feb. 21 and April 14 weather days remain on the calendar. CISD high schools will not have an early release day on March 11; elementary and middle schools will keep the early dismissal time as stated in the CISD 2021-22 calendar.

Follow @anjuvishwanath and @CHSCampusNews on Twitter for more.