Gulf of Mexico plays the victim once again

One of the four Kemp's Ridley sea turtles that were released by the Institute for Marine Mammal Studies in the Mississippi Sound Monday morning near Ocean Springs, Mississippi, on August 30, 2010, is shown. The turtles were rescued during the Deepwater Horizon oil spill in the Gulf of Mexico. (James Edwards Bates/Biloxi Sun Herald/MCT)

By Mary Whitfill

Features Editor

The United States Coast Guard has reported that another oil platform exploded 102 miles of the coast of Louisiana in the Gulf of Mexico on Thursday morning, injuring one worker. The platform was owned by Mariner Energy, an oil company based out of Houston that was drilling in shallow waters. Mariner Energy describes itself as one of the leading independent oil and gas exploration and production companies in the Gulf of Mexico.

All of the workers on the rig were acounted for but the injured woker’s condition has not yet been released.

New York Times news reports said that there was smoke rising from the towers but the current condition of the rig is unknown.

At 9 a.m. central time, the Coast Guard recieved thedistress signal, rallying together seven emergancy helicopters to reach the scene by 11.

Those who can recall details of the other recent oil spill in the coast, are weary of even having oil drilled in the Gulf at all. The damages of the spill can still be seen in the wildlife and lives of those around the Gulf.