Senior Assembly to aid students through application process

by Divya Kumar
News Writer

In order to ease tensions about the upcoming college application process, CHS counselors held a “Senior Assembly” today. Seniors left their English classes to go to the lecture hall, where counselors presented a slideshow detailing the whole application process.

They begun the program  by introducting Naviance, a new program that CHS has recently incorporated that aids seniors and juniors through the college process. The website hosts a “resume” for the students, which lists their scores, GPA and rank, as well as a college and scholarship search program. A new feature recently added, a college match-up service, compares the students statistics based off of those of last year’s seniors who applied and were accepted to similar schools.

This process is likely to help students establish their safety, good choice, and dream schools, as the counselors told them they should all have. In addition to helping students categorize, the presentation also went over application deadlines, teacher recommendation letters and how to order transcripts from Student Services for $5.

The Naviance program sponsored by the school has also teamed up with The Common Application this year in order to make the process easier on students. All recommendation letters and transcripts can be directly provided by teachers and counselors via the internet and through Naviance.

Upon the completion of the presentation, students were handed a “Senior Post-High School Handbook” that provided the slideshow as well as additional information that may be helpful to seniors. It is likely that many more meetings will occur between seniors and their counselors as they continue to embark on the college application process.