Cowgirls golf conquers regionals, advances to state after six year absence

Coppell+senior+golfer+Chelsea+Romas+finishes+a+swing+on+Sept.+23.+The+Coppell+girls+varsity+golf+team+won+first+place+at+the+Class+6A+Region+I+Tournament+to+advance+to+the+state+tournament.+

Lilly Gorman

Coppell senior golfer Chelsea Romas finishes a swing on Sept. 23. The Coppell girls varsity golf team won first place at the Class 6A Region I Tournament to advance to the state tournament.

Varshitha Korrapolu, Staff Writer

A strong start on the first day of the Class 6A Region I Tournament allowed the Coppell girls golf team to become the regional champions. The tournament took place at Tangle Ridge Golf Course on Monday and Tuesday at Grand Prairie.

The Cowgirls two-day total was 606, shooting a 305 on Tuesday and a 301 on Monday. Coppell moves onto the Class 6A State Tournament on May 10-11 at Legacy Hills Golf Club in Georgetown. 

This is the first time that the Cowgirls advanced to state since 2015. Advancing to state this year made Coppell coach Jan Bourg feel elated. 

“I knew this group was very special three years ago,” Bourg said. “They worked very hard individually on their game. They spend hours practicing on their own. It’s just a great group of girls. They can all beat each other on any given day. Our seniors have stepped up and been good leaders this year.”

According to Coppell senior golfer Chelsea Romas, who shot 76 on Tuesday and 72 on Monday, losing to Hebron at the District 6-6A tournament propelled the Cowgirls to defeat Hebron at regionals. Bourg thinks the fierce competition exists between Coppell, Hebron and Southlake Carroll which contributed to the Cowgirls’ desire to win. 

“We were in second place going into day two,” Bourg said. “On day two, we were playing the first place and third place teams which were Hebron and [Carroll] [respectively]. So the girls are all very familiar with all their players because we played against them a lot. A little bit of rivalry between those schools. They were excited.” 

Around 9:30 a.m. on the second day of the tournament, a cold front caused a drop in temperature and wind to appear. This significantly affected the play of all the teams, however the Cowgirls remained calm. 

“I would say as a team, we are pretty decent wind players,” Romas said. “That was a big part of our round yesterday. It was super windy, and we’re all decently long hitters which is super helpful in the wind. I think what sort of set us apart from Hebron is that we were able to manage that a little better than them.” 

The state tournament will mark the end of Coppell senior golfer Jamie Welsh’s, who shot 75 on Tuesday and 73 on Monday, and Romas’ high school golf journeys. 

“State will be my last high school golf tournament,” Romas said. “It will be the last tournament of our season. I’ll be sad that it’s over, but I am excited for college. High school golf has been a really good experience for me with the team since freshman year until now. I’ve been able to go to regionals all three postseasons that we’ve had. It’s been a good experience.” 

Follow Varshitha (@varshitha1128) and @SidekickSports on Twitter.