iPhones proving useful for many students

Photo by Tyler Morris
by Caitlin Conner

Following CISD’s new policy change regarding laptop computers in the classroom and cell phones during passing periods, the allowance of phones during class hours may not be an unattainable dream much longer.

Many students at CHS believe that using cell phones, more accurately iPhones is extremely beneficial in the classroom.

“I think that using phones is actually really helpful because you can look up things much easier rather than having to go to a computer,” junior Ryan Williams said. “Instead of taking the entire class to the computer lab, people can just pull out their phones and Google something really quickly.”

Several classrooms, including senior Meredith McDonald’s economics class, are already allowing iPhones for things pertaining to the curriculum.

“My class uses iPhones to look up stocks and other things,” McDonald said. “There is a special application for the national deficit clock and that’s something that we can’t find in the book because the numbers are always changing. In cases like that, our phones are more accurate than our textbooks.”

For senior Joey McKillop, the measurement converter application comes in handy for several classes including math and science. Other students including senior Jordan Elgin use the Spanish translation application rather than consulting a dictionary every time he needs a word.

Sophomore Aja Zarrehparvar loves her flashcard application.

“I have this app where I can put in any definition and words I want and it makes digital flashcards for me,” Zarrehparvar said. “I use it for so many of my classes and it’s awesome because you can share them with other people that have iPhones.”