Opinion: People of color and women have suffered enough

Alex Jimenez Enero

Women and people of color still face discrimination both in our community and globally. The Sidekick staff writer Varshitha Korrapolu discusses their struggles and how we can help minimize them in Coppell.

Varshitha Korrapolu, Staff Writer

We are all human beings. We all bleed the same. People of color have taken risks in attempt to achieve equal opportunities just like anyone else. Their fight has inspired women and other groups to take action.

Oppressed. Suffering. Inferior. Why are these words used to describe people who are no different from others? 

A vital turning point in this fight for equality in America occurred during the 1960s when the Civil Rights Act of 1964 was passed in order to curtail discrimination in public facilities and workplaces. The second wave of feminism, which was an era when women started to defy the stereotypical image of what a woman should be, also peaked during this time.  

Some may argue that there is no need for protests since movements have already occurred to help people of color and women. However, these efforts have not solved the problem of inferiority associated with people of color and women. 

“Maybe [people of color] are different from [others], but at the same time [people of color] don’t mean to cause any harm,” Coppell High School junior Jasmine Durrant said. “We want to just live, we just want to live in this country that we call America. We don’t want to cause any trouble, we don’t want to stirrup any trouble and [hate against people of color has] just been going on for too long.”

The inhumane, unjust murder of George Floyd has contributed to the Black Lives Matter protests, which have acted as an outlet for Black voices to be heard. According to Victory Place @ Coppell junior Grace Christopher, the BLM protests occurring in Coppell have caused a much needed wake up call. These protests have united our community in an attempt to help Black people feel more welcomed and accepted for who they are. 

“We have been less tolerant of racist incidents in Coppell and helped the Black community feel more welcomed,” Christopher said. “It made the racist people feel uncomfortable. There is still work we need to do, this is just a step that Coppell made that helped Black lives become more valued.” 

Christopher also provides several ideas that Coppell can implement in order to help the racial and gender inequality present.

We want to just live, we just want to live in this country that we call America.

— CHS junior Jasmine Durrant

“[CISD administrators] need to stop tolerating casual racism,” Christopher said. “It’s already happened enough. [Instead], they can teach Black history in schools and not cover up racism. Doing events that could help the Black community in Coppell come together and just being there for them could definitely help.” 

Not only have the BLM protests helped the Black community feel more accepted for who they are, the protests have inserted a sense of confidence and uplifted other minorities. Women and other groups, such as the LGBTQ+, have gained the bravery to speak up. 

Women empowerment has been increasingly important as women desire to take on new roles in society. This sense of confidence and boldness to expand from a shy, obedient woman to a self-sustained woman is due to actions taken by people of color, which set milestones and continue to inspire others. 

People of color and women have been deprived of their rights for way too long. Basic rights that are listed on the Bill of Rights that belong to every American aren’t even valued when it comes to people of color and women. 

Furthermore, the ability to be an influential leader in the community is something that people of color and women should have just like any other American. 

“[The rights that I value most are] the civil rights [and the ability] to be a full participatory member of society,” AP U.S. history and AP seminar teacher Brian Hussey said. “Being able to share the same space with [others is important] because that is how we improve and push people to [be] their best.”  

It is about time that our community, our state and our nation realizes that people of color and women deserve to be accepted for who they are. They deserve to be acknowledged for their contributions to society. They deserve to be treated with respect. They deserve to live a prosperous, jubilant life just like anyone else. 

Follow Varshitha Korrapolu (@varshitha1128) and @CHSCampusNews on Twitter.