Cowgirls facing long-quarantined Hebron

Neveah Jones

Coppell junior right side hitter Abigail Hendricks and sophomore outside hitter Reagan Engler celebrate against Prosper Rock Hill in the CHS Arena on Friday. Coppell plays Hebron tomorrow at 6:30 p.m. in the CHS Arena.

Anjali Krishna, Co-Sports Editor

Heading into tomorrow’s match with a 1-2 District 6-6A record, the Cowgirls will play former powerhouse Hebron, just returning to play after quarantining due to COVID-19 guidelines, at 6:30 p.m. at the CHS Arena. 

“They’re not as strong offensively and defensively as they were last year,” Coppell junior right side hitter Abby Hendricks said. “I noticed when watching that a lot of their players play all the way around and a lot of their attack tendencies are predictable. But then again, they’ve also been quarantined for the past two weeks and they just came back, so if this were a regular season I would expect to see the same tendencies but at this point, since they’ve been out for so long, I don’t know what they’ve changed around.”

Though pleased with the win against Plano East, Coppell’s mind stays on the losses to Marcus and Flower Mound. 

“We should’ve beat Marcus but we played well against Flower Mound, it was more of a mentality thing,” Hendricks said. “Our team is very mental, if we get down on ourselves, we hang it over our heads for the rest of the game. It’s important that we’re staying on top of it and having good energy because that’ll transfer better to our statistics.”

Issues remain in that the team is largely new to each other, even after an eventful preseason. 

“Last year, a lot of the varsity kids were in the same friend group and this year, since we lost all of tournament season and we didn’t really have any team bonding, sometimes it’s hard to have a lot of energy when you don’t really know who you’re playing with,” Hendricks said. “We’ve done a good job of uniting as a team but that energy when we get hyped up is when we play our best and we need to work on making that consistent through every single game that we play.”

Follow Anjali (@anjalikrishna_) and @SidekickSports on Twitter.