Coppell ISD celebrates 60 years of success

+Coppell+ISD+celebrated+its+60th+birthday+last+week+with+several+at-home+activities+for+families+to+enjoy.+The+celebration+was+moved+to+a+virtual+Facebook+Live+birthday+bash+due+to+risk+of+contracting+COVID-19.

Camila Villarreal

Coppell ISD celebrated its 60th birthday last week with several at-home activities for families to enjoy. The celebration was moved to a virtual Facebook Live birthday bash due to risk of contracting COVID-19.

Camila Villarreal, Staff Writer

Under the circumstances brought by COVID-19, the original plan of having Coppell Independent School District’s 60th birthday bash celebration at The Sound at Cypress Waters had to be canceled, but the event was not to be stopped. 

Instead, CISD released a five-day-long calendar last week that was perfect for families practicing social distancing, such as writing a happy birthday message in chalk or baking a cake in honor of CISD. Contributors were encouraged to share their pictures and videos on social media under the hashtag #CISDBdayBash. 

“It was an opportunity to add a little bit of fun to these uncertain times,” CISD Superintendent Brad Hunt said. “It’s been quite a challenge not to be in school or around one another, so it was a chance to continue to engage with our community in a more remote way and provide activities families could easily replicate at home.”

Coppell ISD also partnered with several local businesses and restaurants to provide Coppell citizens with special deals on May 1, which included Coppell local favorites such as Little Greek, Kelly’s Texican Grill, Cicis Pizza and Wize Computing Academy. 

To finish the week, the district held a Facebook Live virtual 60th birthday bash on May 1 with Hunt as the master of ceremonies. The CISD board members hosted a trivia game in which the audience could post their answers on social media, videos about the history of the district were played and people sang happy birthday to the district. Coppell citizens could also take part in “House Hunters,” an at-home scavenger hunt with everyday household items.

“As a student who has been part of the CISD family for almost a decade, it’s nostalgic to watch as CISD celebrates its 60th birthday,” Coppell High School junior Shreya Joshi said.

CISD was created through a vote. 

The Dallas County school system encompassed a building originally called “Coppell School,” which held approximately 175 students from kindergarten to eighth grade. When Coppell ISD bloomed in 1959, it was decided the school district would expand to a full 12 years. In 1965, Coppell’s first class of seniors graduated, and from there, the district into separate middle schools and elementary schools until CISD resembled what it looks like today, and Coppell School became what is now Pinkerton Elementary. 

Sixty years later, Coppell celebrates this history. 

This birthday celebration meant a great deal to many people, such as Austin Elementary third grade teacher Kayleigh Smith, who went through each grade starting from kindergarten as a Coppell student. 

“I knew I wanted to come back as a teacher at CISD when I graduated,” Smith said. “It has been very interesting to see the district grow from when I was a student. I love that everyone here is a family and takes the time to support one another.”

Follow Camila Villarreal (@fliipthewriter) and @CHSCampusNews on Twitter.