Board addresses COVID-19 impacts on tax revenues, curriculum

Bella Mora

On Monday the Coppell ISD Board of Trustees discussed issues regarding revenue and savings due to COVID-19. This meeting was held virtually due to Dallas County’s Shelter-at-home order.

Karen Lu, Daily News/Assignment Editor

On Monday night, the Coppell ISD Board of Trustees held a special meeting online.

CISD chief financial officer Diana Sircar reviewed the budget planning process for the 2020-21 school year. The Tier One maximum tax rate, calculated by the Texas Education Agency, provides revenue for the district based on average daily attendance per pupil. In 2018, the district’s Tier One tax rate was $1.00 before being compressed under House Bill 3 to $0.93.

For 2020-21, the tax rate will be compressed further to at least $0.9164 based on the Comptroller’s estimated state-wide property value growth of 4.1%. If CISD property values grow more than 4.1%, the Tier One tax rate will be compressed further. To ensure districts reach their entitlement, the state would provide aid. On the other hand, with excess local revenue, the state would recapture the surplus.

Tier Two tax rates are the taxpayer approved enrichment rate. This year, the district’s Tier Two tax rate will not be compressed.

With COVID-19, the projected impacts on tax revenue include for 2020 taxes a loss of value in commercial properties. For 2021, the projected property value loss may lead to loss of the enrichment revenue. Other effects of COVID-19 on revenue includes loss of interest on investments, loss of gate receipts for athletic events and loss of facility rental revenue.

Potential savings due to COVID-19 arise from decreased bus transportation costs, substitute teacher costs, utilities and school events.

The total estimated state and local M&O revenue for 2020-21 is $112,094,898 – a $771,189 increase from the previous year – based on an assumed 5% property value growth and 13,381 students enrolled.

CISD is projected to have 115 fewer students enrolled at the elementary level, two fewer at the middle school level and 148 more at the high school level for a net increase of 31 students for 2020-21, according to assistant superintendent for administrative services Kristen Streeter.

Assistant superintendent for curriculum and instruction Dr. Angie Applegate introduced the possibility of summer school, whether face-to-face or a continuation of online distance learning, utilizing resources such as iStation, Dreambox and Reflex Math, as a method to bridge the teaching time lost due to the coronavirus.

TransCend4 CEO Dr. Lizzy Asbury updated the board on the long-range facilities planning for CISD buildings and facilities. As the external facilitator of the Long-Range Facilities Planning Committee, Dr. Asbury and other committee members toured several CISD campuses and buildings. With meetings moved to online methods, a Google document was shared with the entire committee for feedback. The last meeting for the committee to present the board its final recommendations is scheduled for April 27.

Follow Karen (@_karenlu_) and @CHSCampusNews on Twitter.